Power amp sizing for subwoofers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 11:18 PM   #11
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

No mention here of talk about the level in the space and frequency. You need sufficient power to product sufficient sound levels in the worst case setup, and add some headroom to keep the amp happy. As was stated, "it depends"

For PA use, go buy PA speakers, not home theater speakers. Efficiency is almost everything.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:18 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
You should probably note that clipping produces DC voltage, which is much more hazardous to a speaker than short sine wave power.

When in doubt, select a stronger amplifier, IMHO.
I'd agree about going with a stronger, un-clipped amp.

There is no DC in clipping of musical signals, the speaker is always seeing alternating (+/- ) signal.
The speaker heats in response to average power, there is more power in a square wave of the same amplitude as a sine wave, a fully clipped signal may approach double (+3dB) the power an amp delivers over it's rated power.
Old 25th September 2012, 01:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
No mention here of talk about the level in the space and frequency. You need sufficient power to product sufficient sound levels in the worst case setup, and add some headroom to keep the amp happy. As was stated, "it depends"

For PA use, go buy PA speakers, not home theater speakers. Efficiency is almost everything.
Valid point...this will be for portable use in private house parties and limited outdoor use. Not real pro use, but a powerful stereo that can be transported and setup quickly. Sound quality is nearly important as output. I've modeled many pro woofers, and found that the 15" HO can give nearly as good of sensitivity in a small ported box with good extension to 35hz. Roughly 16x22x19 is what I'm looking at. They seem like they are pretty beefy subs and people work them hard in car and HT use. I'd really like to have some huge bass horns but don't want to transport them.

For the rest of the system I just picked up some Peavey Impuse 100's. They sound great, I was running them off a musical fidelity A2 and analog parametric EQ this weekend, sourced by a sansa clip+ with flac files. Have a Adcom GFA-555 I intend to power them with for PA use. So after a USB dac, the tops could have a full analog chain. The impulses will get taken apart and internally braced and damped. It would be nice if i could use a dsp pro amp on the subs so I wouldn't have to add a standalone crossover. I would like to build pole mounts into the subs to fly the tops over them, using heavy steel poles ~50lb each.

Will also have a 12v setup with an alpine class-d amp and SLA batt, intended to use with the mains and a single sub.

If I can hit 110 db in a 1000 square ft room, I will be pretty happy with that.

Last edited by turbodawg; 25th September 2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 25th September 2012, 01:52 AM   #14
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
You should probably note that clipping produces DC voltage, which is much more hazardous to a speaker than short sine wave power.

When in doubt, select a stronger amplifier, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
I'd agree about going with a stronger, un-clipped amp.

There is no DC in clipping of musical signals, the speaker is always seeing alternating (+/- ) signal.
The speaker heats in response to average power, there is more power in a square wave of the same amplitude as a sine wave, a fully clipped signal may approach double (+3dB) the power an amp delivers over it's rated power.
Think DrDyna is stating that extreme clipping is basically the same as the square wave Art, at a full clip you basically have alternating bursts of DC..?
Old 25th September 2012, 02:07 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

That's ******* hilarious dan, thanks for the laugh.
Old 25th September 2012, 02:21 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in the inuke's but can't figure if the nu3000dsp is not enough power, or if the nu6000dsp is completely excessive.....
Old 25th September 2012, 02:40 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Amazon has the nu6000dsp for $443 shipped. Its a beast and more than I wanted to spend, but seems like a solid choice.
Old 25th September 2012, 03:18 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
That's ******* hilarious dan, thanks for the laugh.
Thanks I'm here all week Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Amazon has the nu6000dsp for $443 shipped. Its a beast and more than I wanted to spend, but seems like a solid choice.
The NU6000 is basically two bridged NU3000's in one chassis, so you can't bridge the NU6000 but it is 2kw per channel @4Ω...
Old 25th September 2012, 04:24 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Thanks I'm here all week Click the image to open in full size.

The NU6000 is basically two bridged NU3000's in one chassis, so you can't bridge the NU6000 but it is 2kw per channel @4Ω...
Yes, 1700w @ 4 ohms per channel, both driven, into each sub.
Old 25th September 2012, 04:28 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

There are plenty of good 8-ohm drivers, use 4...

Hide this!Advertise here!