DIY ...worth it? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY ...worth it?

I am exploring the option of building a sub over buying one. Before I explore any further and get hung up over this, I would like to understand under what circumstances would one choose to go DIY route. What's there to gain by going DIY, and whats to loose?
Old 19th September 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

If you want a cheap sub, its better to buy than build.

If you want to learn, make something and if you are prepared to put the effort in, you may end up with something better than you could buy for around the same sort of price, ingoring the bottom price bracket.

If you build one you can choose how it looks, maybe integrate it into furniture.
Old 19th September 2012, 06:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
....you may end up with something better than you could buy for around the same sort of price, ingoring the bottom price bracket.
my budget is around $500 for amp + driver. What can I expect, comparing to a sub like rythmik FV12.

target room is 14x22x11.
Old 19th September 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

You can build a very nice sub for that, if you do something like a BASH amp. I personally like the Peerless subs in sealed boxes. Big heavy boxes are not nice things to deliver to stores, so in subs, you actually do have an advantage. If all you want is a sub, and do not want to fall victim to the DIY bad habit, then just build an established design. Linkwitz Thor is very close to what I build. Now, I always advocate two, but that is pushing your budget.
Old 19th September 2012, 07:40 PM   #5
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Only you can answer the question if it's worth it.

Just a note: The DIY subwoofers "are" the reason that there are fairly affordable subwoofers for sale already built.

Just the same, it's pretty easy to build a "great" subwoofer for what many so-so subwoofers sell for.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 19th September 2012, 08:11 PM   #6
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

$500

Let me add it up. JBL GTO 1214 4 ohm sub $100
Two sheets of 3/4" AC plywood $90
5 way binding posts and glue $10
Screws/stain/paint etc. $20
O Audio 500 watt plate amp w/limiter/parametric EQ $230

Total price is $450 for a 12" tapped horn sub tuned for 18Hz. Max output in the
middle of a wall is around 120dB.

The other $50 is for beer or other oddities that always pop up during a build. The thing is large but unique and you have the satisfaction of building it yourself.

I've spent thousands to save...money? Denial is very powerful but education costs money so it all comes out even in the end.
Old 19th September 2012, 09:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

i have been reading on dual opposed subs. Is it a good choice?

I do intend to add a second sub later. Currently exploring just one. I am not looking for reference levels. Power can be sacrificed for clean and tight sound.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A lot of considerations. Here are some more.

You can't make a good sub unless you can measure the results. But a sound-level meter is cheap and software free.

There's no way to create a low-level crossover that ends up doing what you ultimately need it to do; among other reasons, you are never sure what you'll need till you start try-outs. Therefore, you have to use an extra amp for the sub (cheap and good second-hand) and a variable electronic crossover (the Behringer for $160 is quite marvelous and does many tricks).

Ben
Old 19th September 2012, 10:32 PM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs View Post
i have been reading on dual opposed subs. Is it a good choice?

I do intend to add a second sub later. Currently exploring just one. I am not looking for reference levels. Power can be sacrificed for clean and tight sound.
Subs are omni to start with. If you are paying for two drivers, make two boxes. Boxes are cheap. Try it for yourself. I did. Useless for me.

There is no cleaner driver I know than the Peerless. XXLS. At least not one I can pay for.

Breaking the budget I know, But on my main system I switched from plates to an active crossover and a used Parasound amp. The difference was shocking. Kind of disappointed as I was hoping to prove in the 65 Hz and below range, any old amp would do. My other two systems with subs will eventually get the same treatment.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

One mixed-bass sub is all anybody needs. FAR better to have one good sub than two so-so quality. But very helpful to have a second sub in a different part of the room even if not a great sub. With the Behrenger, you can tailor the response quite a bit till it sounds right to you (which is unlikely to be flat to the mic).

Ben

Hide this!Advertise here!