DIY ...worth it? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2012, 05:21 PM   #21
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
This was one fellows DIY design, it grew into a group design/build.

Crazy low bass, they just sound fantastic in the HT. Also have one in a 2.1

cost? $8 woofers ($32 total) - wood $25 - white fill $5

Very cool design- got a link? Also, the woofer section should be braced from mounting to mounting- this sub could take advantage of force cancellation.
Old 20th September 2012, 05:32 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Which Infinity drivers are available?
I know people have purchased this back here a few months back
Amazon.com: Infinity Kappa 120.09W 12" Subwoofer: Car Electronics

and this could be available
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 1262w 12-Inch 1200-watt High-Performance Subwoofer (Dual Voice Coil): Car Electronics

Visiting the shop tomorrow to find out.
Old 20th September 2012, 05:39 PM   #23
Samyk is offline Samyk  Germany
diyAudio Member

In the end, displacement volume is the key to low and loud base. And the 10" Dayton woofer got +-14mm of linear excursion. With a surface area of 350cm² x 2 subs you can move a lot of air (as much as with one good 15" woofer or with two casual 12" ones).

I recommend seal boxes, because they don't release as much energy into the room as a 20hz ported design would do. Therefor your room is excited less (room modes again) and the bass sounds way clearer.

And consider, your small room won't allow you to produce any frequencies below ~25hz. So don't waste money and acoustic energy by trying to build a 25hz subwoofer. 30hz is all you need, trust me (and you can still add a few hertz by equalizing the sub)

I think dual subwoofer are a waste of possibilities. You can't cancel (or at least reduce) room modes because there is only one position. And in my opinion force cancellation is widely overestimated. the vibrations produced by subs are negligible / don't interfer with the music. Just take a look at all the professional studio subwoofer. There is not one using force cancellation.

And concerning these infnity speaker, i can't find any proper spec sheet. I won't buy anything that is sold without at least the basic tsp.

Last edited by Samyk; 20th September 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 20th September 2012, 09:21 PM   #24
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll have to hunt for the link; made 5 of them (20 woofers).

Here are some of the pics, they are all the same, but 2 of the builds were single fold.

The $8 woofer were a buy out/gone, but I think they will be back. The page on right is available.....someone would have to check the design.

**Might find the 299114 on ebay, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Very cool design- got a link? Also, the woofer section should be braced from mounting to mounting- this sub could take advantage of force cancellation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 pics.jpg (226.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 299114 vs 29-305.jpg (376.4 KB, 109 views)
Old 20th September 2012, 09:39 PM   #25
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samyk View Post
In the end, displacement volume is the key to low and loud base. And the 10" Dayton woofer got +-14mm of linear excursion. With a surface area of 350cm² x 2 subs you can move a lot of air (as much as with one good 15" woofer or with two casual 12" ones).

I recommend seal boxes, because they don't release as much energy into the room as a 20hz ported design would do. Therefor your room is excited less (room modes again) and the bass sounds way clearer.

And consider, your small room won't allow you to produce any frequencies below ~25hz. So don't waste money and acoustic energy by trying to build a 25hz subwoofer. 30hz is all you need, trust me (and you can still add a few hertz by equalizing the sub)

I think dual subwoofer are a waste of possibilities. You can't cancel (or at least reduce) room modes because there is only one position. And in my opinion force cancellation is widely overestimated. the vibrations produced by subs are negligible / don't interfer with the music. Just take a look at all the professional studio subwoofer. There is not one using force cancellation.

And concerning these infnity speaker, i can't find any proper spec sheet. I won't buy anything that is sold without at least the basic tsp.
Yes Xmax is a big deal for subs, but so is distortion. I have used the Dayton subs and they are OK, ( Reference and Titan) but nothing like the Peerless XXLS in a 12. I too like sealed subs and two cabinets. If right next to each other is the best place, you can do that. If you build them in one box, you can't split them.
Old 20th September 2012, 09:40 PM   #26
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Just remembered. I bought some Kapa's several years ago. They did have specs. When I measured them, they were so far off, I sent them back. 20% I'll buy. 100% no.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:03 PM   #27
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think I'd try this with store bought speakers....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200lbs.JPG (163.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 20th September 2012, 10:08 PM   #28
Samyk is offline Samyk  Germany
diyAudio Member

Yes of course the Peerless XXLS is a great driver, but you still have to consider the price limit of ShaQBlogs. And even if the XXLS got lower distortions while doing high excursion, the two Dayton will be stressed less because of the higher over all displacement volume compared to one XXLS. And ShaQBlogs can't afford two of them.

I could write a lot more, but due to my limited language capabilities concerning technical English i would just take too much time.

And tvrgeek, your example is exactly the reason why no one should by cheap stuff. You get what you pay for.

In Germany we have a saying: If you buy it cheap, you pay twice.

I think the daytons are well priced but not cheap and one of the best options for the limited budget of ShaQBlogs.

And before forgetting it, remeber buying the 8ohm version if you want to use poth driver in parallel. Otherwise the impedance will be two low for most of the amps.

Last edited by Samyk; 20th September 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:58 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samyk View Post
I did some more reading n forums, and it looks like a few have tried this for home use and it has worked out really well as long as it's not pushed too hard. If it comes close to a TC Sounds Epic 12, then should be good enough for a first build. Since it is cheap, why not try this for the first DIY sub?
If this goes better than what I expect then maybe will upgrade later.

Quote:
In Germany we have a saying: If you buy it cheap, you pay twice.
In India we have a saying, If you can buy it, then you can sell it. There is always a sucker or two out there, we after all have a billion people!!

Last edited by ShaQBlogs; 21st September 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 21st September 2012, 10:02 PM   #30
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs View Post

In India we have a saying, If you can buy it, then you can sell it. There is always a sucker or two out there, we after all have a billion people!!
LOL! That's just mean.

Just make sure you don't have a better sub playing when the person comes over to hear it.

Hide this!Advertise here!