aluminium subwoofer enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
I am planning to build a pair of 1 inch thick aluminium enclosure for my wilson watch dog drivers (12 inch).
These would be vented with a total internal volume 4.53 Cubicfeet tuned at 25 Hz
I have full access to maching shop, grinding, milling, boring etc so constructuction is not an issue

Any advice of any significant sonic advantage for using aluminium.

regards

#1 Rigidity.

#2 4.53 cu ft of 1 inch plate means no one will be able to steal them as you would need a crane. If bolted together, they could be knock down. ( you could move them) and get inside to change port lengths, play with stuffing and lining densities.

Be sure to prototype as you don't want to get the size wrong with such costly materials.

How do you intend to finish them? Get them anodized? I would put a layer of Dynamat on the inside to damp any high frequency artifacts. At sub frequencies, I suspect the resonances would be far above anything the driver could excite.

Quite a project. Post pictures if you do it. If it were me, I'd use 1 inch plywood and spend my money of better active crossover and amps. ( My subs are XXLS's in 60L sealed driven be a DCX and Parasound 1200)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.