(tan) What Subwoofer Do YOU Use? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2003, 12:40 AM   #1
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
Default (tan) What Subwoofer Do YOU Use?

(tan): This is a Tangent thread. I'm not sure this is the best place for such a poll-oriented thread, but it is moderately on-topic.

I am looking around and various subwoofer designs to build for my grandparents' new stereo system, and I figured I would ask the guys who know Hi-Fi best. So, what subwoofer(s) are you using in your stereo systems, and what do you like about it/them?
Old 26th October 2003, 01:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I am in the middle of building a clam shell isobarik .

using two peerless 12" classic series in a 60 ltr box I am currently using a single driver in a 120 ltr box

What I do like about them is that blend well with my mains diy using 2 vifa 6 1/4 with a vifa tweeter
Old 26th October 2003, 01:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if your grandparents will want to go this route, but I use a stereo pair of TAD 1601a's in 4.5cu.ft. boxes.
Old 26th October 2003, 03:46 AM   #4
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
I ask because I want to know what type of subs (sealed vented, what drivers, how big) you use to give yourself the bass you want.
Old 26th October 2003, 11:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
I got an old custom 15" driver from an Allen organ my school threw out (there was also a leslie rotary and I couldn't steal it because there was no room in the house, and it's trashcan filler now--WAAH!) and I built a 19" cubical open baffle box for it... it sounds absolutely awesome.

I have another sub I like, made from 2x 10" Pioneer speakers; they're not available for DIY use but they're pretty standard in their stereo systems; paper cone, cloth half-roll surround. Two of those in a push-pull dipole configuration sound awesome below 200hz.

Baffle-step compensation? What's that? I just turn the bass knob up like a very bad sound guy.
Old 26th October 2003, 11:42 AM   #6
Vigier is offline Vigier  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

at the moment I use two subs, with 1 Peerless XLS 12 active unit and 2 Peerless XLS10 slave units in each sub.

I'm waiting for the follow-up of the Adire Tumult, then I will build a new one (of two)

Grtz, Joris
Old 27th October 2003, 03:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Dingaling
I use a 15" sub thats very similar to the Krell master reference in a 5cf sonotube enclosure. boy does it get loud...
Old 27th October 2003, 07:10 AM   #8
VEC7OR is offline VEC7OR  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to VEC7OR
6 order bandpass using 8" driver - small, loud and hard to build. You can make it go to 20+ but watch out for group delay and port sizes get really wild.
Or build a pair of floorstanders.
Profanity took a very interesting form in Russia where there exists a language of sorts, most of its words based on four basic profane roots - nouns p...is, wh.0.e, c..t and verb f..k. It is possible to sensibly communicate using just these four basic roots.
Old 27th October 2003, 09:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

www.geocities.com/sc00byd0159

jbl 2226h 15" in 175L internal,33hz EBS tune ,running of ten watts until i get 240watts
(after i buy my lab12 woofer for basshorn,and my USB 128mb memory stick, etc etc etc...)

i like my jbl because of its such low distortion

the response is overdamped ,no boomyness at all..it has a shelved response.

the Group delay is in the mid 20ms i think

,low airspeed,

for grandparents i would expect that a dayton series 2 8" style of thing would be fine,giving some nice midbass..

but am i generalising ,that grandparents only need that much bass?

need more info

Hide this!Advertise here!