Box simulation in WinISD - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2012, 02:30 PM   #11
greg80 is offline greg80  Poland
diyAudio Member

Thank's all for responses.

I've bought in good price Dali Concept SUB (12" about 50L closed box) (price was less than I've calculated for DiY SUB). I'm quite happy with it's performance, so I've postponed my DiY SUB project for now.

But I've one question: what is your opinion about DiY sub I've described before (Dayton or Peerless driver, closed box volume approx 35 - 50L) - would it better perform than Dali? If yes that in which aspect - low frequency response, accuracy, distortions?

Regards
Old 26th October 2012, 04:01 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

IMO, to get good SQ and reasonable SPL (for light listening, not used in anger) a sealed enclosure will need equalization.
At the very least a high order, high pass to protect the driver and a Linkwitz-Riley filter to increase low frequency response.
A TQWT, Tapped Horn or a ported quarter wave tube with an offset driver OD_ML_TL (offset driver_mass loaded_tuned length) will give fairly high SPL's with fairly high SQ and at much lower amplifier power.
OD_ML_TL's can have a very small foot print but go from floor to close to the ceiling.
This type of design is easy to blend into normal decor.
The increased efficiency is one of the big reasons that any horn will have lower distortion (when not used in anger)than a simple sealed enclosure which requires equalization and the higher operating power levels that are required to operate at Subwoofer frequencies.
That is, to operate at frequencies of which the sealed box does not want to operate.
Also, Xmax becomes a real issue as you try to lower sealed enclosure frequency response.
All that said, if you are not looking for 20 Hz content a sealed enclosure has much smaller delay issues than a ported box.

It is all a matter of preference.

Dave

Last edited by Shadydave; 26th October 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: I before E except in Meigs County

Hide this!Advertise here!