2 Yamaha S6115 bins, only one JA-3882... Help! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2012, 04:26 AM   #11
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

(sigh) Hi bear,
I saw the pic and read you post, and since you and many others don't provide any data to make a comparison I'll just have to let it go because it really has very little to do with this whole thing except...

The thing is that you assume the yamaha cabinet is built to the same end as the A7. But what makes you think the smaller Yamaha cab actually has the same "problem" as the A7? The A7 does not have what would be normally characterized as a rising response, the horn loading falls off below 300 so basically it is falling response on both sides. So why poo on someone's speakers when we have practically no data that suggests there is an actual problem. Sure they are small and don't go low but that's what subwoofers are for anyhow.

Code:
Insert A7/x hornresp here... ;)
We can trade:
Code:
ID=29.00
Ang=1.0 x Pi
Eg=28.28
Rg=0.01
Fta=33.23
S1=232.26
S2=4548.38
Lec=84.13
F12=79.19
S2=0.00
S3=0.00
L23=0.00
T=1.50
S3=0.00
S4=0.00
L34=0.00
AT=10.68
S4=0.00
S5=0.00
L45=0.00
F45=0.00
Sd=880.00
Bl=27.62
Cms=1.58E-04
Rms=5.04
Mmd=85.19
Le=3.50
Re=10.00
Nd=1
Vrc=15.00
Lrc=15.24
Ap1=232.26
Lpt=1.80
Vtc=2750.00
Atc=993.15
Pmax=100
Xmax=5.0
Comment=JBL 2226J 80Hz JMLC Home Audio

Last edited by NEO Dan; 8th September 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 8th September 2012, 05:46 AM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Does bear poo in the woods on an A7?

Seems like a load of unqualified poo to me bear?
Like Bear said..........factory measurement [1st plot]: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...515g/page3.jpg

There's also been quite a few DIY published responses using different Altec model woofers as well as other brand drivers to show that all the Altec combo horns have a relatively huge stepped bass response.

That said, earlier very high Vas drivers driven with a period correct ~ matching impedance tube amp has a much flatter, smoother response to a lower F3.

GM
Old 8th September 2012, 08:51 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Audio Classics - S6115

$45.00 EA

Jump on it.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I would sell the working JA-3882 and buy a pair of Eminence GAMMA 15A-2.

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker
Old 8th September 2012, 01:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Actually I was using Tom Danley's gated measurement.
Old 8th September 2012, 04:08 PM   #16
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, it's just one more measured proof of Bear's assertions WRT the A7 in particular and combo horns in general, but as I noted, they can be EQ'd/tweaked to a flatter response over a wider BW.

GM
Old 8th September 2012, 05:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmacy View Post
Bummer. I was hoping to return to factory spec.

What would you recommend I replace them with?
If you are handy with at ruler and tape measure, a digital model of your enclosure can be made that will allow a suitable driver to be found.
Old 10th September 2012, 11:19 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm a newbie to the forums, so some of the terminology is lost on me. I am an eager learner though, so if you have time for explanations I'd love to hear some more in depth info (bear lost me especially).

Ok, so I've decided to buy a pair of 15" speakers, that's for sure. I checked out the Eminence speakers, but I'm open to other suggestions.

NEO Dan, the enclosures are in storage right now, but I will get measurements ASAP. How do I make a digital model? I've seen screenshots of a program that seems to do a lot of things (none of which I'm familiar with), but I'm not sure how it would be useful to me at this point.

Thanks again guys and/or gals!
Old 10th September 2012, 11:19 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm a newbie to the forums, so some of the terminology is lost on me. I am an eager learner though, so if you have time for explanations I'd love to hear some more in depth info (bear lost me especially).

Ok, so I've decided to buy a pair of 15" speakers, that's for sure. I checked out the Eminence speakers, but I'm open to other suggestions.

NEO Dan, the enclosures are in storage right now, but I will get measurements ASAP. How do I make a digital model? I've seen screenshots of a program that seems to do a lot of things (none of which I'm familiar with), but I'm not sure how it would be useful to me at this point.

Old 10th September 2012, 02:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmacy View Post

The "digital model" is just to test different drivers in the enclosure without needing to buy a lot of different ones and try them all physically and measuring the response. You have to measure all the sizes of the horn, ports and internal volume at the back of the driver, prefferably make a rough sketch of it with the measurements indicated (draw by hand or computer, either should be fine). Different drivers will be tested/calculated in the "digital model" and the optimal driver will be recommended to you.

It can take a while/some work to find the best driver for your enclosure.

Hide this!Advertise here!