2 Yamaha S6115 bins, only one JA-3882... Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, here's my problem:

I recently inherited a pair of Yamaha S6115 bass bins. One of them had a blown speaker (from a poorly connected lead wire) which was a 15" Eminence driver. Being a reasonable person, I assumed that both drivers had been replaced with Eminence drivers, and I spent some time searching around on the internet looking for a re-cone kit.

In this search, I discovered that there were no markings on the speaker I had (the only way I knew it was an Eminence driver was from the previous owner and the voice coil size), so I opened up the other enclosure to find a model number.

Much to my surprise, I discovered the other enclosure still had it's ORIGINAL JA-3882 driver intact! Hooray! Now all I had to do was find another JA-3882 to slap in there, and off I'd go!

Well, it's never as easy as it sounds. I've had these for 6+ months, all the while searching in vain for another JA-3882 driver. I've found limited information on the enclosures and speakers, and none for sale.

So, if anyone has an idea where I could find a 3882 driver (Not a 3882b) I'd greatly appreciate the info. Yamaha has been of very little help, and ebay is dry as a bone on these.

Help me!

Measure the T/S specs of the original, find a good Eminence replacement, they have versions now that handle beaucoup more powah!

Not familiar with the bass bin - folded horn or reflex?

Model the reflex/ported in any sim software, the tradeoffs in T/S specs will become apparent.

Hornresp will do horns...

_-_-bear

It's a hornflex :D
2960551483u_1x424x360f

Yeah, the problem with this design is two-fold.

First the box volume is too low for low tuning. It's a parsed down volume compared to an Altec A7. So you want a low VAS driver, with a low Fs in all probability (see what the sim program says).

The other problem is that the front loaded horn will pick up the response, and create a rising response, guessing on this one rising up from about ~100Hz.

That makes the bass seem a bit lost, but gets the unit up in sensitivity to meet the horn a bit better.

The idea behind the A7 was speech intelligibility not good bass. They did not have good bass, still don't. (redesigned with different drivers and tuning you can get some, at the expense of SPL/sensitivity...).

Just be aware of the tradeoffs, the design idea, and the limitations.

_-_-bear

PS. if you want to EQ the bass, you need a driver that will handle big watts, and need to use a big watts amp, if ur using it for PA/SR

(sigh) Hi bear,
I saw the pic and read you post, and since you and many others don't provide any data to make a comparison I'll just have to let it go because it really has very little to do with this whole thing except...

The thing is that you assume the yamaha cabinet is built to the same end as the A7. But what makes you think the smaller Yamaha cab actually has the same "problem" as the A7? The A7 does not have what would be normally characterized as a rising response, the horn loading falls off below 300 so basically it is falling response on both sides. So why poo on someone's speakers when we have practically no data that suggests there is an actual problem. Sure they are small and don't go low but that's what subwoofers are for anyhow.

Code:
Insert A7/x hornresp here... ;)

We can trade:
Code:
ID=29.00
Ang=1.0 x Pi
Eg=28.28
Rg=0.01
Fta=33.23
S1=232.26
S2=4548.38
Lec=84.13
F12=79.19
S2=0.00
S3=0.00
L23=0.00
T=1.50
S3=0.00
S4=0.00
L34=0.00
AT=10.68
S4=0.00
S5=0.00
L45=0.00
F45=0.00
Sd=880.00
Bl=27.62
Cms=1.58E-04
Rms=5.04
Mmd=85.19
Le=3.50
Re=10.00
Nd=1
Vrc=15.00
Lrc=15.24
Ap1=232.26
Lpt=1.80
Vtc=2750.00
Atc=993.15
Pmax=100
Xmax=5.0
Comment=JBL 2226J 80Hz JMLC Home Audio

Last edited:
Does bear poo in the woods on an A7?

Seems like a load of unqualified poo to me bear?

Like Bear said..........factory measurement [1st plot]: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/specs/components/515g/page3.jpg

There's also been quite a few DIY published responses using different Altec model woofers as well as other brand drivers to show that all the Altec combo horns have a relatively huge stepped bass response.

That said, earlier very high Vas drivers driven with a period correct ~ matching impedance tube amp has a much flatter, smoother response to a lower F3.

GM

Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm a newbie to the forums, so some of the terminology is lost on me. I am an eager learner though, so if you have time for explanations I'd love to hear some more in depth info (bear lost me especially).

Ok, so I've decided to buy a pair of 15" speakers, that's for sure. I checked out the Eminence speakers, but I'm open to other suggestions.

NEO Dan, the enclosures are in storage right now, but I will get measurements ASAP. How do I make a digital model? I've seen screenshots of a program that seems to do a lot of things (none of which I'm familiar with), but I'm not sure how it would be useful to me at this point.

Thanks again guys and/or gals!

Thanks for all the responses so far! I'm a newbie to the forums, so some of the terminology is lost on me. I am an eager learner though, so if you have time for explanations I'd love to hear some more in depth info (bear lost me especially).

Ok, so I've decided to buy a pair of 15" speakers, that's for sure. I checked out the Eminence speakers, but I'm open to other suggestions.

NEO Dan, the enclosures are in storage right now, but I will get measurements ASAP. How do I make a digital model? I've seen screenshots of a program that seems to do a lot of things (none of which I'm familiar with), but I'm not sure how it would be useful to me at this point.

The "digital model" is just to test different drivers in the enclosure without needing to buy a lot of different ones and try them all physically and measuring the response. You have to measure all the sizes of the horn, ports and internal volume at the back of the driver, prefferably make a rough sketch of it with the measurements indicated (draw by hand or computer, either should be fine). Different drivers will be tested/calculated in the "digital model" and the optimal driver will be recommended to you.

It can take a while/some work to find the best driver for your enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.