port size for sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diameter 100mm would need a lenght of 310mm
diam. 150mm - 750mm long
What inside diameter tube do you have at home or can you find cheaply?
Or would you rather make a rectangular port, then post the exact dimensions and wall thickness.
Make the port as big as possible, size of box permitting.

Last edited:
Best to download any of the FREE box designers. I use WinISL. The mass of the air in the port is extremely critical, so none of this "big as" stuff. "To get down to" is a totally incorrect way to design a speaker. It is to use the driver to it's best ability. Driver, box and box tuning work together to give a wide variety of possible outcomes.

It sounds like you have not read Vance, Murphy, or D'Appolito yet. Please do. Without understanding what you are trying to do, you are stabbing in the dark and may not like the results.

Remember, all the models just get you close. You still have to prototype and measure!

i have built a 100 lt sub with a Scanspeak Classic 25W 8565.00 drive unit and would like to port it to get more bass from it.
could anyone tell me the diameter and lenght of port to get down to 25 hz many thank gareth

Hi gareth,

IMO it's not a good idea to convert your near 'optimal closed box' into a BR as you would only gain extension when trading SQ.

IMO, a volume of >= 160 L is required using the very good Scan-Speak driver in a BR box, i.e. I would consider to build a ML-TL BR box.

b:)

Attachments

• ScanSpeak 25W_8565-00_BR.JPG
    ScanSpeak 25W_8565-00_BR.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 71
  • ScanSpeak25W_8565-00_sugg.JPG
    ScanSpeak25W_8565-00_sugg.JPG
    703.8 KB · Views: 67
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.