Driver recommendation for home stereo use - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 03:10 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

2 sealed subs, small box, light cone, low F3/F6- if the amp is reasonably powerful, I can't think of a better driver than the Dayton RSS210. If sound levels aren't an issue, the Hivi M8n is very good.

Last edited by Bill poster; 1st October 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:44 AM   #12
4Torr is offline 4Torr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
Thanks all for advice.
I've bought Peerless XLS-12 woofers (830500) in 1.5 cu. ft. sealed boxes.
I find the sub-bass range performance very good, the sound is "tight" and articulate and suitable for classical music.

However I'm unable to achieve my original design goal, high crossover point.
When I cross them at 125hz (LR4), sub-bass output is reduced. It's as if the 125hz signal sucks the life out of them.
Crossing at 100hz (lowest I can go) gives ample sub-bass but doesn't let my mids play as loud as I wanted.
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Your box is too large to be sealed with this driver. You will need to add a port.
A 3" dia 10" long port ( 32Hz) flared at both ends would flatten the frequency response and give you the sound quality you're looking for.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:50 AM   #14
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Torr View Post
Your box is too large to be sealed with this driver. You will need to add a port.
A 3" dia 10" long port ( 32Hz) flared at both ends would flatten the frequency response and give you the sound quality you're looking for.
Agree with that provided that the OP never exceeds an input power of 7 W Rms or stay below 100dB SPL..at any time... when lining the box with no more than~ 50 g of damping material.

b
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:56 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
Agree with that provided that the OP never exceeds an input power of 7 W Rms or stay below 100dB SPL..at any time... when lining the box with no more than~ 50 g of damping material.

b
I stand by my recommendation. The Peerless XLS-12 830500 woofers are designed for a vented or passive radiator box. You will never realize the driver's great potential sealed without massive EQ. The symptoms Stan describes are in line with the early bass roll off and poor efficiency in the low bass vs the midbass (125hz) that you would experience with a sealed box.
As for input power, you would need far less with a reflex enclosure. With port damping and 12mm Xmax, the Peerless will play loudly without distortion.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
2 sealed subs, small box, light cone, low F3/F6- if the amp is reasonably powerful, I can't think of a better driver than the Dayton RSS210. If sound levels aren't an issue, the Hivi M8n is very good.
Dear Bill! As I seen, you has Dayton RSS210. Can you send me some info, how many the recommended box size for this woofer? I'm planning build a pair of similar subs for my 4PI speakers (98 dB/w) with Wayne Parham's flanking subs configuration. AudioRoundTable.com: Speaker => The Subwoofer thing

Thanks for help!
Old 8th October 2012, 07:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

It's a low sensitivity driver, make sure the amp is powerful enough. If sealed it will work well in a 30 litre box and as little as 20 litres is ok according to winisd

LinearTeam

Last edited by Bill poster; 8th October 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 9th October 2012, 03:38 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
It's a low sensitivity driver, make sure the amp is powerful enough. If sealed it will work well in a 30 litre box and as little as 20 litres is ok according to winisd

LinearTeam
Thank you very much!
Old 9th October 2012, 11:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

it depends on your system requirements, space etc. If you need a sub with high sensitivity then Torr's recommendation is good.
They arent subwoofers but the CSS 10" are beautifully made and work v well in 40 L sealed and high sensitivity - two wd be better
Old 9th October 2012, 11:40 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

push-pull

I don't care if it is sealed, tranny line, 4th order, 6th order assisted, or whatever.

Not isobarik.

Norman

Hide this!Advertise here!