Can you identify this subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a pair of these in a friends garage, and he gave them to me. He knows nothing about them.

They are 9 inch woofers in a 13 inch diameter cabinet about 3 feet long. The base is black veneer. It looks like the front had a trim ring or something to hold the outer cloth.

There are no logos, model numbers, or brand names anywhere on them. The woofers have the number 45109-9 printed on the cone. The magnet has a sticker with the number 10530, 16 ohm. It also has another number 67-93370043 G4 on it.

They look too professional to be home made.

Any info would be great, as I would like to re-cone them if possible.

Thanks,
Keen

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1858.jpg
    IMG_1858.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1861.jpg
    IMG_1861.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 188
I found a pair of these in a friends garage, and he gave them to me. He knows nothing about them.

They are 9 inch woofers in a 13 inch diameter cabinet about 3 feet long. The base is black veneer. It looks like the front had a trim ring or something to hold the outer cloth.

There are no logos, model numbers, or brand names anywhere on them. The woofers have the number 45109-9 printed on the cone. The magnet has a sticker with the number 10530, 16 ohm. It also has another number 67-93370043 G4 on it.

They look too professional to be home made.

Any info would be great, as I would like to re-cone them if possible.

Thanks,
Keen

This kind of subwoofer enclosure became popular at least 20 years ago. I think Hsu Research made some commercial designs like the one you picture. I don't see anything about it that is beyond the reach of a DIY speaker builder, however. The cylindrical section can be made out of a concrete form such as sonotube, and sometimes these are called "sono-subs".

Do a Google Image search for "sono sub" and you will get the idea.

-Charlie

Last edited:
Yup, that's it.

Thank you. That put me on the right track. I finally found a good photo of them on the net. They are Hsu HRSW10's.

Now to the point, does anyone offer a re-cone kit for them?

Thanks,
Keen

This kind of subwoofer enclosure became popular at least 20 years ago. I think Hsu Research made some commercial designs like the one you picture. I don't see anything about it that is beyond the reach of a DIY speaker builder, however. The cylindrical section can be made out of a concrete form such as sonotube, and sometimes these are called "sono-subs".

Do a Google Image search for "sono sub" and you will get the idea.

-Charlie

Now to the point, does anyone offer a re-cone kit for them?

This not likely to be possible given the generic nature of the driver, its age, and its rather inexpensive construction. Did you think of contacting Hsu? They might be able to offer some advice.

Instead you might try to find a replacement. If you want to replace it with another driver alltogether, measure the cutout and ask on the Parts-Express Techtalk forum for some help. If you know the internal volume of the cylinder, and the internal diameter and length of the port tube, you know everything about the box and box tuning. Then you just need to find a suitable driver to fit inside the cutout that will match well with the box. It's not as hard as it may seem, although it may take some searching. The PE forum people are better in this area IMHO.
Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

-Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.