Building a ported subwoofer with tight bass ... how?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2012, 03:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building a ported subwoofer with tight bass ... how??

hi ...

need help here ... i am interested of ported subwoofer boxes all the time (in fact have build 2 of them) due to their good efficiency (higher output at lower frequencies)...

but so far i am pleased with the output level they produced (very power bass) ... but there is something is missing ... that is good transient response(tight bass for eurodance, techno).

i wonder if for a subwoofer box a larger box then the suggested volume or smaller will give better transient response. Or i can use equalizer to improve the transient response of a ported subwoofer.

In fact, i do have a pair of sealed sattelite speakers which produce nice tight bass although the bass is not heavy.

pls help ... opinions and suggestions are very much welcomed
Old 25th August 2012, 04:42 AM   #2
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

If your not fixed on bass reflex then there are many other subwoofer options which in general are considered to have more "tight" bass.

Sealed would be the "audiophile" choice, but requires a lot of power and large drivers.

If it's the efficiency you're after than some kind of horn could suit you well. There are many tapped horn designs out there that are quite good, and can be MUCH more efficient than bass reflex. I have built a few negatively tapered horns and been quite happy. I actually have not built a bass reflex sub yet, because all the ones I have heard I felt were too "mushy," so I prefer some kind of horn.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but I hope it helps

P.S. "Or i can use equalizer to improve the transient response of a ported subwoofer" I highly doubt there's much you can do with an equalizer for transient response. It could be used to decrease linear distortion (frequency response) but that's about it.

Last edited by kctess5; 25th August 2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 25th August 2012, 05:29 AM   #3
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

the fact that you like the "tight bass" from your satellite speakers sorta tells me that you're after more pronounced midbass. How high in frequency are you crossing over your current subwoofers?
Old 25th August 2012, 05:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctess5 View Post
If your not fixed on bass reflex then there are many other subwoofer options which in general are considered to have more "tight" bass.

Sealed would be the "audiophile" choice, but requires a lot of power and large drivers.

If it's the efficiency you're after than some kind of horn could suit you well. There are many tapped horn designs out there that are quite good, and can be MUCH more efficient than bass reflex. I have built a few negatively tapered horns and been quite happy. I actually have not built a bass reflex sub yet, because all the ones I have heard I felt were too "mushy," so I prefer some kind of horn.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but I hope it helps

P.S. "Or i can use equalizer to improve the transient response of a ported subwoofer" I highly doubt there's much you can do with an equalizer for transient response. It could be used to decrease linear distortion (frequency response) but that's about it.
Everything else being equal, a tapped horn is no more efficient than a vented box IF box size is equal. There's no escape from Hoffmans Iron Law.
Old 25th August 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

tight sound comes mostly from the frequency response. for this really dry sound you want a woofer that does not play much lower than 50hz and has a slightly rising response, so it is louder at 150hz than at 50hz. also, it may not have huge irregularities like bumps in its response. this is easily done with closed boxes since thats about their natural response. with reflex, you need to be attentive that the low end isnt bumped up, making the sound boomy.

you might also try to experiment with proper bass traps and/or nearfield placement of the speakers for the better direct/ambient soundfield ratio.
Old 25th August 2012, 09:58 AM   #6
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Everything else being equal, a tapped horn is no more efficient than a vented box IF box size is equal. There's no escape from Hoffmans Iron Law.
Up for a little challenge then? The measurements look legit on that one...
Old 25th August 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
Up for a little challenge then? The measurements look legit on that one...
Approximately over 100dB from about 50Hz up using 2.83V into a nominal 8 Ohm load? Box size I estimate to be about 100l net, here's a BR that does about the same thing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Note that the statement was same efficiency per box size, not per price, as this does have 800€ worth of Italian neo drivers in it (though you might be able to do it cheaper, this was with the second driver I tried for which I already had hornresp inputs, didn't bother optimizing the price.

Last edited by jwmbro; 25th August 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 25th August 2012, 10:42 AM   #8
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

There is a whole range of ported box bass alignments that differ
considerably in the subjective "tightness" of reproduced bass.

Often vented is chosen to optimise f-3dB. Depending on the
driver and box optimising f-6dB to f-10dB can produce
deeper and tighter bass that is subjectively dryer.

Rounding the knee of a vented response improves transient
response. Can be done by port detuning only, or sometimes
a combination of a smaller box and less detuning is useful.

rgds, sreten.
Attached Images
File Type: gif guff.gif (32.9 KB, 465 views)

Last edited by sreten; 25th August 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 25th August 2012, 10:44 AM   #9
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

@ jwmbro
You must have missed his foot in mouth moment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Everything else being equal
So that's great, but can you do it with a single 12"?
Old 25th August 2012, 10:46 AM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Port only - much tighter and much deeper, good with room gain :
Attached Images
File Type: gif guff.gif (32.9 KB, 457 views)

Last edited by sreten; 25th August 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!