small subwoofer/satellite design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!

A buddy of mine is considering from some new speakers for his computer, and I figured it'd be a good chance to do some woodworking. For our design, I think we're going to go with the Tangband W3-871s in small cabinets, but we need to come up with some sort of sub to augment below 100hz. I figure something small like an 8" driver will be suitable, and specifically I was looking at tangband's W8-740C. You can find the data sheet for the driverhere.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a cabinet to use for these, or a better driver if applicable? Ideally I think we would like to go ported and keep the size reasonable, but size isn't a real issue. I really appreciate any advice you guys might have. Thanks,

George

Wright.
If you come up for the NW DIY event you will see the W8 with a 10" PR that will do the job very very well.
I have done a lot with the W8 and you will need a long port 24" long plus or a PR.And the PR must have a xmax of 20mm and there is only one that will work.The CSS PR.It has 50mm and un weighted it is just a simple drop in a box.I will have measurments for those attending the DIY.And they will be available from my DIY site later as well.
http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/wrnch2/diyspeakerbuilding/
Good combo with the 871
al

Since you are in Seattle, maybe you could drive up for the NW DIY '03. http://www.creativesound.ca/northwestdiy2003.html

They will have at least 4 designs using the TB w3-871s, as well as quite a few subs using the TB w8-740c and the Adire Shiva.

If you could make it up here, you could listen to to a bunch of stuff before making your decision. Then you would could some idea of what you are going to end up with.

Also, you could buy your drivers while you are up here. The money you'll save on shipping should cover the cost of gas.

That being said, the 871s are awesome - you can't go wrong with them. Same with the Shiva (but it might be overkill). I heard the 740c with a dual PR (I think?) at last year's NWDIY, and I think it performed pretty well.

Hey guys,

Yeah I was thinking about heading up there, but I was hesitant because of gas money; good point about the shipping costs. I currently have a shiva sub, but I figured that would be overkill for my friends system. Really this is supposed to be a very low budget design as we're both broke college students. Al, any idea on the cost of the CSS pr? I looked on their site but couldn't find it listed. Also what sort of cabinet size am I looking at and how much amp power do I need?
Thanks for the help guys,

George

aha thanks Al I must have missed it. Hmm, have you ever considered running the 740c sealed? I see CSS is offering one of their sub kits in this configuration and I might be able to get off cheaper that way. I'm off to look at amps, anyone know of any cheaper then CSS's sub100?

No he is not.I t will not work sealed and take any sort of power.The kit uses his new SX driver not the W8.
I do Bob's kits as well as design for him.So I am sure there is no sealed kit.
And do not I say do not use the cheap MCM PR they have .It is limited to 8mm of Xmax and with the TB or the MCM 8" drivers you need to have a PR with at least 20mm of excursion at the least.
So you would need 4 of the MCM cheap PR's to come close to the CSS PR.

I have the W8 in a 13" Cube with the PR and a DT150 for testing the Solen Sub 100 will be going in once I pick the proper boost level.The DT300 as well as the 150 alow you to adjust the boost so makes great amps for testing sub>Then just modify a AMP boost to a fixed setting if that market amp is not adjustable.
This is what we do with the Solen Sub 100 AMP same as the small PE amp.
Just adjust the boost to what each kit requires.
Like the Shiva 14" lock Miter kit it uses 6db at 25.
The CCSS SX 10' uses 6DB at 35 in the Piano black cube.

Anyway have fun with the W8 but port it even exterally as Aron did http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/images/theater/EmeraldTitan/05230012.jpg
On this design.

But small space using the W8 you will only get the PR from CSS to work.
Been there many times over and over.
As well I am helping Bob Wright and Mr Koonce do a artical for the Audio Amature mag using the TB in a small cube with the PR from Bob.
They have requested all my data .For this artical.
The first part using a folded port in a 14'16 cabinet and persison port ends will be out in the next few months.
Then all my PR work will be out in the spring.

Good luck

Ah thanks for the correction, I saw this kit and it didn't mention a port, so I assumed it was sealed. I think we will probably go with the pr as I think my friend found a good deal on an amp. so a 13" cube will work alright; does it need any bracing when it's that small. I appreciate your help,

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.