Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Frode is offline Frode  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer for Danley SH-50

A pair of Danley SH-50 might end up in my livingroom. They'll probably need a subwoofer(or several), and I' open for suggestions. One idea is to copy the outside of the SH-50 cabinet and put a subwoofer in it. This way I could put one below and one above the SH-50, making a kind of MTM. This would give me around 160-180L per cabinet depending on the height. I've also thought of TH, or even IB, but so far I haven't made any decisions. What would you suggest?

Frode
Old 18th August 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

TH-118
Old 18th August 2012, 05:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've looked at Danley's creations as well, but I would like to build something myself. Anyway, I don't think the TH-118 digs deep enough. The TH-50 was made to accompany the SH-50, but seems to be discontinued.

Frode
Old 18th August 2012, 05:44 PM   #4
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

They used to have the DTS-10 in kit form, I'm not sure if they still do, but they're a beast.
Old 18th August 2012, 06:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode View Post
I've looked at Danley's creations as well, but I would like to build something myself. Anyway, I don't think the TH-118 digs deep enough. The TH-50 was made to accompany the SH-50, but seems to be discontinued.

Frode
Frode,
I'll ask the same questions as in the Hi Eff. forum, how big, how loud, and how low do you want to go?
Will you be using DSP?
How much amp power do you want to use?

Art
Old 18th August 2012, 06:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

How low? Around 20Hz.

How loud? The amp I'm aiming to use on the SH-50's(100dB at 2.83V), is 20W. I usually don't play very loud, so no need for insane SPL levels.
I guess low is more important than loud.

Size is difficult as the shape also plays a role. The DTS-20 is more than 18cu.ft but not that big if you put it into a corner. I also have an attic that I might use.

I'm using DSP.

I have 4 channels of Hypex UcD400(400W@4ohms/240@8ohms) I was planning to use. But ther's no problem changing amps if that's what the
subs needs.

Frode
Old 18th August 2012, 06:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
They used to have the DTS-10 in kit form, I'm not sure if they still do, but they're a beast.
No, I don't think it's available any longer.

Frode
Old 18th August 2012, 07:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode View Post
How low? Around 20Hz.

I guess low is more important than loud.

I also have an attic that I might use.

I'm using DSP.

I have 4 channels of Hypex UcD400(400W@4ohms/240@8ohms) I was planning to use. But ther's no problem changing amps if that's what the
subs needs.

Frode
Josh Ricci’s Gjallerhorn would do really well.

Gjallerhorn

That said, 4 Lab 12s in a pair of ported enclosures matching the SH-50 footprint with a dual opposed driver arrangement would be a simple build and could do well down to the 20 Hz range, and 400 watts per driver is plenty to get your pants legs flapping.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2x1219Fb.jpg (84.5 KB, 303 views)
Old 19th August 2012, 03:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you can find a MTX T9515-04 over there just do what I did. NewToy link, I'm ending up with 4 of them. Drivers coming from all over the country

Last edited by TundraLTD; 19th August 2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Josh Ricci’s Gjallerhorn would do really well.

Gjallerhorn

That said, 4 Lab 12s in a pair of ported enclosures matching the SH-50 footprint with a dual opposed driver arrangement would be a simple build and could do well down to the 20 Hz range, and 400 watts per driver is plenty to get your pants legs flapping.

Art
Yeah, I've been looking at the Gjallerhorn. It's a bit on the big side, but not impossibel to fit in my room. I could also put it in the attic and let it fire through the ceiling.

Frode

Hide this!Advertise here!