Subwoofer for Danley SH-50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A pair of Danley SH-50 might end up in my livingroom. They'll probably need a subwoofer(or several), and I' open for suggestions. One idea is to copy the outside of the SH-50 cabinet and put a subwoofer in it. This way I could put one below and one above the SH-50, making a kind of MTM. This would give me around 160-180L per cabinet depending on the height. I've also thought of TH, or even IB, but so far I haven't made any decisions. What would you suggest?

Frode

I've looked at Danley's creations as well, but I would like to build something myself. Anyway, I don't think the TH-118 digs deep enough. The TH-50 was made to accompany the SH-50, but seems to be discontinued.

Frode
Frode,
I'll ask the same questions as in the Hi Eff. forum, how big, how loud, and how low do you want to go?
Will you be using DSP?
How much amp power do you want to use?

Art

How low? Around 20Hz.

How loud? The amp I'm aiming to use on the SH-50's(100dB at 2.83V), is 20W. I usually don't play very loud, so no need for insane SPL levels.
I guess low is more important than loud.

Size is difficult as the shape also plays a role. The DTS-20 is more than 18cu.ft but not that big if you put it into a corner. I also have an attic that I might use.

I'm using DSP.

I have 4 channels of Hypex UcD400(400W@4ohms/240@8ohms) I was planning to use. But ther's no problem changing amps if that's what the
subs needs.

Frode

How low? Around 20Hz.

I guess low is more important than loud.

I also have an attic that I might use.

I'm using DSP.

I have 4 channels of Hypex UcD400(400W@4ohms/240@8ohms) I was planning to use. But ther's no problem changing amps if that's what the
subs needs.

Frode

Josh Ricci’s Gjallerhorn would do really well.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/189784-gjallerhorn.html

That said, 4 Lab 12s in a pair of ported enclosures matching the SH-50 footprint with a dual opposed driver arrangement would be a simple build and could do well down to the 20 Hz range, and 400 watts per driver is plenty to get your pants legs flapping.

Art

Attachments

• 2x1219Fb.jpg
    2x1219Fb.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 386
Josh Ricci’s Gjallerhorn would do really well.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/189784-gjallerhorn.html

That said, 4 Lab 12s in a pair of ported enclosures matching the SH-50 footprint with a dual opposed driver arrangement would be a simple build and could do well down to the 20 Hz range, and 400 watts per driver is plenty to get your pants legs flapping.

Art

Yeah, I've been looking at the Gjallerhorn. It's a bit on the big side, but not impossibel to fit in my room. I could also put it in the attic and let it fire through the ceiling.

Frode

You might look at building a pair of sealed PPSL with 12s and a Linkwitz transform to get the 20hz. A cabinet with the same footprint as the SH-50 and adjust the height as needed for net volume (I'm guessing 18"~24" would give the best height for imaging from the SH-50).

This would give minimum group delay and a pair stacked MTM style would give a stable pattern through the crossover region, and delay might not even be needed.

You might look at building a pair of sealed PPSL with 12s and a Linkwitz transform to get the 20hz. A cabinet with the same footprint as the SH-50 and adjust the height as needed for net volume (I'm guessing 18"~24" would give the best height for imaging from the SH-50).

This would give minimum group delay and a pair stacked MTM style would give a stable pattern through the crossover region, and delay might not even be needed.

Any suggestion for drivers?

Frode

You could also mount the drivers (PushPull) like Tannoy does in their VQ-range:
Rojoh,

Push pull means having one driver magnet out, both the woofers in the picture you attached are cone out.
"V" loading as in the picture does allow the use of a pair of larger drivers in a smaller frontal area, two 15" or 18" could be mounted in a "V" with the same frontal area as an SH-50.

Art

Rojoh,

Push pull means having one driver magnet out, both the woofers in the picture you attached are cone out.
"V" loading as in the picture does allow the use of a pair of larger drivers in a smaller frontal area, two 15" or 18" could be mounted in a "V" with the same frontal area as an SH-50.

Art
Yes, You're right. I ment (but didn't explain it well :eek:) that he could copy the the box shape, but flip one of the drivers.

I also always forget about SH-50s size. On pictures they often look so compact. One option could be something like swedish Procella does:

Attachments

• P860_no_grilles.jpg
    P860_no_grilles.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 226
"Any suggestion for drivers?"

Given you modest output requirements, and given that there will be four drivers, any half-way reasonable driver should do (really). Push-pull really reduces the distortion so that an inexpensive driver can sound quite good.

I was looking at some TC Sounds Epic 12s for a friend, they have around 22mm of x-max and are about $200 each. I don't think you need anything quite that extreme.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.