Subwoofer for Danley SH-50 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Frode is offline Frode  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraLTD View Post
If you can find a MTX T9515-04 over there just do what I did. NewToy link, I'm ending up with 4 of them. Drivers coming from all over the country
I really like your design, but it seems to be hard to source the drivers.

Frode
Old 19th August 2012, 01:56 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frode View Post
I really like your design, but it seems to be hard to source the drivers.

Frode
The drivers have been discontinued, I'm assuming that's why the TH-50 was as well. The Orion HCCA152 will work in the design with slight modification, but it cost a bit more
Old 21st August 2012, 10:04 AM   #13
djk is online now djk
diyAudio Member

You might look at building a pair of sealed PPSL with 12s and a Linkwitz transform to get the 20hz. A cabinet with the same footprint as the SH-50 and adjust the height as needed for net volume (I'm guessing 18"~24" would give the best height for imaging from the SH-50).

This would give minimum group delay and a pair stacked MTM style would give a stable pattern through the crossover region, and delay might not even be needed.
Old 21st August 2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Frode is offline Frode  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
You might look at building a pair of sealed PPSL with 12s and a Linkwitz transform to get the 20hz. A cabinet with the same footprint as the SH-50 and adjust the height as needed for net volume (I'm guessing 18"~24" would give the best height for imaging from the SH-50).

This would give minimum group delay and a pair stacked MTM style would give a stable pattern through the crossover region, and delay might not even be needed.
Any suggestion for drivers?

Frode
Old 21st August 2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Rojoh is offline Rojoh  Norway
diyAudio Member

I would choose the Dayton RSS-315HF (8 ohm version). Probably similar to those used by Ocean Way in some of their monitors.
25 Eliminator Daytona, 30 daytona, E-ticket - YouTube

You could also mount the drivers (PushPull) like Tannoy does in their VQ-range:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VQ60.jpg (23.2 KB, 179 views)
Old 21st August 2012, 07:50 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojoh View Post
You could also mount the drivers (PushPull) like Tannoy does in their VQ-range:
Rojoh,

Push pull means having one driver magnet out, both the woofers in the picture you attached are cone out.
"V" loading as in the picture does allow the use of a pair of larger drivers in a smaller frontal area, two 15" or 18" could be mounted in a "V" with the same frontal area as an SH-50.

Art
Old 21st August 2012, 08:09 PM   #17
Rojoh is offline Rojoh  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Rojoh,

Push pull means having one driver magnet out, both the woofers in the picture you attached are cone out.
"V" loading as in the picture does allow the use of a pair of larger drivers in a smaller frontal area, two 15" or 18" could be mounted in a "V" with the same frontal area as an SH-50.

Art
Yes, You're right. I ment (but didn't explain it well ) that he could copy the the box shape, but flip one of the drivers.

I also always forget about SH-50s size. On pictures they often look so compact. One option could be something like swedish Procella does:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P860_no_grilles.jpg (43.2 KB, 179 views)
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:37 AM   #18
djk is online now djk
diyAudio Member

"Any suggestion for drivers?"

Given you modest output requirements, and given that there will be four drivers, any half-way reasonable driver should do (really). Push-pull really reduces the distortion so that an inexpensive driver can sound quite good.

I was looking at some TC Sounds Epic 12s for a friend, they have around 22mm of x-max and are about $200 each. I don't think you need anything quite that extreme.
Old 30th December 2012, 07:19 PM   #19
Q14 is offline Q14
diyAudio Member

DJK
give Windyridge a shout, lost your email.

GB

Hide this!Advertise here!