A question about Tapped horns - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A question about Tapped horns

I'm asking because I am still learning how to use the sim program and I can't seem to find the easy answer by searching.
How do you get the broadest possible bandwidth in the response??
How does the shape of the horn exit effect the response??

I once built an experimental shelf ported woofer where the rear of the port was angled at 45 degrees to see what the box sounded like ( I could not hear any difference ) and was wondering what effect an angled exit would have on the tapped horn if any

If I build a pair they would be used with my planned big OB project and only for the octaves below 80Hz

Second part of the question here, is there a cheap measuring microphone for these low octaves? All of my microphones (Tandy for voice ) have huge distortions
Old 16th August 2012, 11:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Allot of it is dependent on the driver itself. Once you have an idea what you want to accomplish you search and sim many many times to find a driver that will do as close to what you want as possible

And I pulled this from another thread Cross Spectrum Labs they sell calibrated inexpensive mics
Old 16th August 2012, 11:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think (given the cost of postage) that the Behringer from a local shop is as cheap as I will get; $75AUD each, cheapest I have found. Being semi-poverty stricken i will be using an old car subwoofer I have in the shed ; Pair of older MTX Road Thunders 15 inch, talked about these in my bass box enquiry
Old 17th August 2012, 12:14 AM   #4
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
Second part of the question here, is there a cheap measuring microphone for these low octaves? All of my microphones (Tandy for voice ) have huge distortions
behringer ecm8000 - $70 to $95 depending where you buy it.
http://www.coutant.org/behringer/ecm8000c.pdf

the low frequency response is not shown on the datasheet but the company claims it captures 15Hz to 20khz. Hmm not quite sure about the low response though.

Audix TM1 - $270-$400 depending where you buy it.
http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/specs_pdf/TM1.pdf

The Audix microphone does show its low frequency response on the datasheet clearly extending to 20Hz.

Probably a safer bet, but more expensive.
Old 17th August 2012, 12:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
I think (given the cost of postage) that the Behringer from a local shop is as cheap as I will get; $75AUD each, cheapest I have found. Being semi-poverty stricken i will be using an old car subwoofer I have in the shed ; Pair of older MTX Road Thunders 15 inch, talked about these in my bass box enquiry
Do you have the exact model number or T/S data?

TH for 15's are LARGE to put it mildly. Mine are just over 22 cu.ft. (623 Liters) in volume, and took a little less then 4 5'x5' sheets of BB ply
Old 17th August 2012, 12:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Large is putting it mildly
I am not too good with the program yet but I got something almost 3 metres tall and 600 deep.
Here are the T/S parametres as measured at the local shop using Woofer Tester
Fs 18.9Hz
Vas 315litres
Qes .59
Qms 11.4
3.29DCR
Le 2.6mH
X-Max is only 9mm
856cm>2 is the Sd
Very close to the published factory specs

I looked at the Cowan Audio page and showed these to my beloved. here comment was
" Not in this house" but she has been saying that about the HT subbies since we moved here
Old 17th August 2012, 06:08 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Does this help?

Simple Tapped Horn Tutorial using Hornresp

GM
Old 17th August 2012, 06:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Working my way though very slowly
thnx
Old 17th August 2012, 07:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Still confused as to how to get the smoothest bass at the low end, but i am working hard
Old 17th August 2012, 12:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Having tried hornresp, and ended up loving it, id say go throught the tutorial like 6 or 7 times untill the inputs become second nature to you.

then try a different driver and see if you can manipulate parameters to get to a desired response.

The sliders sure help here as you can push stuff around, theres an option to show the original and modified response ar the same time.

You just have to noodle with it till things kind of fall into place, like learning to drive a manual transmission by double clutching.

Also try modelling a simple vented box with it, seems weird but it works to be able to sim something familiar.
Yamaha YST-MS201 computer speaker amp, JVC 3" fullrange drivers in open baffles, CSS 10" sub in 19l sealed enclosure, bluetooth dongle for wireless audio from android phone headphone out for hirez FLAC playback.

Hide this!Advertise here!