Need to build a sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since experimenting with my home theater sub and Vulcans, I've decided I'd like to build a really good sub and would happily spend £500, or $800. Can any one help me with design suggestions or at least point me somewhere. Size is not really an issue and as a cabinet maker the construction shouldn't present too many problems. All advice gratefully received.

I'll start with the usual questions about, how loud do you want the sub to be, size of your room, how low does it need to go, are you willing to use multiple subs or rather one large one, what kind of enclosure, etc...
This forum is full of good designs, use the search function and read for weeks, he he. :)
320x240.jpg

given your skill with wood and the price mentioned, the accepted standard in this forum would be a tapped horn with a good pro audio driver. method is: get hornresp, google for hornresp and tapped horn tutorial, choose driver and model the enclosure, choose a folding scheme and plan the enclosure, build it, be happy. or just copy what someone else has build. see Danley Loudspeakers | Danley Sounds Labs | Danley Sound Labs, Inc. for inspiration.

I need to find out more about tapped horns, they certainly intrigue me, right now I've got a pair of Peerless 10" XLS, I thought I might try 350W class D amps and connect via a Behringer Ultra Drive Pro DCX2496. Hornresp is a problem because I switched to Mac, which I must confess to hating in many ways, certainly not the intuitive easy to use system it was said to be, I could de-bug and resurrect my PC I guess. Any comments on the plan so far greatly appreciated.

Come on people, some opinions wanted! Further to my last post I have become interested in the infinite baffle concept, if I put a driver in a box that had no bottom and placed said box over a hole in my wooden floor which has an 18" gap under it, would I be on the right track? How about two of these in corners or would I be better off with two drivers in one box? My room is 26' x 13' x9' tall. My main speakers are in the corners firing down the length of the room.

Many thanks for the replies, I want the subs to bolster my horns for hifi purposes so as low as possible but they are not going to be doing home theater, explosions etc. I have already bought the drivers so I'm committed to them. The £500, $800 is earmarked for crossover and amps. I was thinking active crossover and class D kit amps, cables I've got.
How about infinite baffle? I can easily build an enclosure at the end of the room and open the floor beneath it to contain the rear wave. The drivers could go near the corners about 9' apart just above the floor. The floor itself has an 18" gap under it and is vented to the exterior, it's airtight to the room itself.
Behringer active crossover? Does all the processing happen at a digital level? Opinion seems to be divided on the Behringer, what are the alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.