6 woofers in a bass bin? too many?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2012, 04:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6 woofers in a bass bin? too many??

It may not be the best way to get the volume and power handling I need for my new party system but is there a lot of destructive interference when using more than the normal 4 woofers in a bass bin?
While I am still looking for one of them I have (or should have) 6 of these cheap 12 inch woofer and No I haven't tested them and I have lost the factory parameters but they need about 120/150 litres per woofer for any depth of bass.

My last bass box got seriously over driven at a summer BBQ and I do not want to replicate the highly tuned ported box.

I can build a box 1200*1200 and 600 deep from 2 sheets of chipboard and fit 4 woofers. 6 woofers will take another sheet and add some extra complexity.
Either box will be wired series/ parallel
So opinions and comments please.
Bin will be on locking castors (Saved from the last box) and drag handles and all the usual stuff for better movement
Old 11th August 2012, 04:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Would there be any benefit from a different baffle shape
\_/ for instance
Old 11th August 2012, 08:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I see no problems with interference occuring, but that rather depends on the crossover point between the woofers and the next driver(s).

Highly tuned ported boxes are okay, but (as always with any resonant enclosure) add a low cut filter a little below Fb - that way, cone excursion won't be a concern.
Old 11th August 2012, 08:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well bi-amping and crossing to the separate mid-tops around an octave above box resonance, say 150/180hz.
Trouble with the high tuned bass is most of our party music is bass heavy and contains lots of tones around 22-35 and the old boxes were half an octave or more higher ( kick-drum higher) than that, use the bass cut and we can't dance LOL, us oldies like tympany bass guitar and Taiko
Old 11th August 2012, 09:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

22-35.... what makes you think so? Most pop music has big boom-boom emphasis far higher. Practically nothing but very exceptional organ music and catastrophe movie sounds that low, no matter what you may hear rumored.

A good way to protect drivers is with a sealed box that provides inherent negative feedback on cone motion. Or with electronics with serious bass cut-off at maybe 30 Hz (which impairs nothing audible in the music), not the 15 Hz gradual cut-offs meant for LP records.

Using many cheap drivers in one box gives pretty much the same sound as one cheap driver. Like that idea? Except larger power handling. Betcha you can do better by making a few boxes to spread around (which is called "distributed"sound in the PA crowd).

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 11th August 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11th August 2012, 10:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Who said anything about POP music?
Rock and Roll and Electronica plus Classical
Pop music sucks

Low deep synthesised bass is common on albomost all of our collection.
I asked this question about building techno capable speakers and I personally was surprised to find that some of my collection was considered to be in this genre, I just call it "Chill-out'

Because most of the "electronica " uses synthesisers and the music does go that low, and that is what I play at parties also organ music.
Just accept this is what I want to do and answer my question if you wish to help.

Yes I want to reproduce notes lower than the Fs of the driver, but that has never been a problem for a sealed box in my experience.
Fs of the driver is 30Hz BTW.
Cheap does not mean bad, usually just lower excursion, which is why I need to use multiple drivers for the SPL I want.
So 4 drivers OK Yes?
6 drivers OK or bad?
Old 11th August 2012, 01:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

More is usually better in the sub dept. , if you have enough amp to power them properly( I do 1.5 x Rms) then six is better. As long as you have enuf room and muscle for them, of course
Old 11th August 2012, 01:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well I may finally have to finally make an amplifier, but I can find 2 or 300 watts.
These woofers only have 6mm X-Max ( well 7 if I include the usual allowance ) so probably 50 watts each will overdrive them.
These are for BBQs so plenty of room outside for them (and the wheels will make moving them easy )
Old 11th August 2012, 02:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Moondog55,
I think that most people would agree that you can't possibly hear anything in the frequency range that you are trying to reproduce, whether that is a real pipe organ or a synthesizer. So you are really trying to produce a vibration that you can feel and nothing more. At that point distortion of the waveform will not matter it is not detectable to our ears. Since that is your baseline for this application why try and use limited excursion devices? Excursion is what you are after, though yes given enough drivers you can produce a given SPL level. So you can figure that it is going to take two 12" cones to move as much air as one 15" cone at the same excursion and 4 twelves to equal one 18" cone. Why not just buy some cheap 18" cones and make things simpler for yourself in amplifier count and all the associated electronics. Even simple passive crossovers at this frequency are going to cost in inductors. I am in agreement with Moondog that you could probably make as much of an impression with a real strong output at 35hz if it was punchy. At that frequency I can make your shirt shake or anything else you are wearing and you would feel the punch in your gut. Actually one good 15" speaker on a long bass horn could do what you are after. Much cheaper and more efficiently. Just an opinion from a newbie on the site..
Old 11th August 2012, 03:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I predict this thread will hold the record for years for errors, bad advice, and surliness per paragraph.

Ben

Hide this!Advertise here!