~50 lb tapped horn, woofer under $100, high efficiency, low power? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2012, 02:27 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Or have I missed something?
You have missed something

Even of you achieve the same F3 and efficiency with a vented alignment compared to a TH or other 1/4 wave-based design with the same driver, what those SMALL-SIGNAL based models are not telling you is what happens to that response curve when you start applying more power to your vented alignment. With a vented alignment, you can expect compression at lower frequencies to affect the response, unless you make the vents VERY large. You won't or shouldn't run into this problem with a TH.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:07 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
You have missed something

Even of you achieve the same F3 and efficiency with a vented alignment compared to a TH or other 1/4 wave-based design with the same driver, what those SMALL-SIGNAL based models are not telling you is what happens to that response curve when you start applying more power to your vented alignment. With a vented alignment, you can expect compression at lower frequencies to affect the response, unless you make the vents VERY large. You won't or shouldn't run into this problem with a TH.
I'm modeling with a pair of 4" round vents, that's more than enough for a low excursion 12" tuned to around 40hz. I don't think port compression will be an issue.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:48 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hmm... My vented spreadsheet says that a 2512 in about a 56 liter box tuned to 41 Hz will give an F3 around 39 Hz. Sensitivity will be about 94.6 Hz

HornResp says that if I put that driver in a 110.6 liter (net) tapped horn with a resonance frequency around 35.75 Hz, it will get down to 36.75 Hz. Sensitivity will be 98 Hz, or 3.4 dB more sensitive than the vented alignment.

So, the TH works out to be over 3dB more sensitive than the vented alignment, and goes a bit lower too, the tradeoff being the larger box requirement.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:23 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm... My vented spreadsheet says that a 2512 in about a 56 liter box tuned to 41 Hz will give an F3 around 39 Hz. Sensitivity will be about 94.6 Hz

HornResp says that if I put that driver in a 110.6 liter (net) tapped horn with a resonance frequency around 35.75 Hz, it will get down to 36.75 Hz. Sensitivity will be 98 Hz, or 3.4 dB more sensitive than the vented alignment.

So, the TH works out to be over 3dB more sensitive than the vented alignment, and goes a bit lower too, the tradeoff being the larger box requirement.
Right. Twice as big. How's the tapped horn doing in 56L.........?
Old 30th August 2012, 11:06 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Right. Twice as big. How's the tapped horn doing in 56L.........?
Good luck trying to fit a 40 Hz TH for a 12" driver into an enclosure that small. Even if the HornResp predictions look decent, folding a TH into a volume that small with enough space to fit the driver will be near impossible.

With THs, the emphasis is on finding the best combination of efficiency and low frequency capability, not on minimizing box size. If your main concern is box size, then it's best to stick to one of the simpler sealed or vented alignments.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:28 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

.. but I like a challenge, so

S1=S2=S3=S4 = 270 cm^2
L12=20 cm
L23=168.4 cm
L34=22cm

Gives response down to 40 Hz, sensitivity just over 96dB/2.83V/1M

Net volume works out to just over 57 liters

Good luck translating those parameters into an actual box though, particularly one that can hold a 12" driver.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:34 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
.. but I like a challenge, so

S1=S2=S3=S4 = 270 cm^2
L12=20 cm
L23=168.4 cm
L34=22cm

Gives response down to 40 Hz, sensitivity just over 96dB/2.83V/1M

Net volume works out to just over 57 liters

Good luck translating those parameters into an actual box though, particularly one that can hold a 12" driver.
That's pretty similar to what I came up with for a TQWT for the 12" eminator, which turned out to be the same as a the vented box. But I had a ~400cm2 area, which seemed like it would work in a simple fold, roughly 20x20x15 overall.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:06 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's pretty similar to what I came up with for a TQWT for the 12" eminator, which turned out to be the same as a the vented box. But I had a ~400cm2 area, which seemed like it would work in a simple fold, roughly 20x20x15 overall.
That sounds kind of weird for a TQWT. Mouth size usually decreases as you go from TH->TP->TQWT. What are the rest of the HornResp parameters in your model?

Trying to shoe-horn the driver into the smallest 1/4L model though kinda negates some of the advantages of using this type of alignment. Do you know you can probably get down to 30 Hz at around 96dB/2.83V/1M with this driver? You'll need to use a 200L box though :-)
Old 31st August 2012, 12:36 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Here you go.....I adjusted my voltage to 2v for the nominal 1w on 4 ohms and get about 94 db. It was actually 360cm2 that I was working with, or 14x4". The s4 is reduced to compensate for the approximate cross section of the woofer at the mouth. A ported box of the same size sim's almost identical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TQWT.jpg (89.1 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg tqwt2.jpg (67.0 KB, 198 views)
Old 31st August 2012, 02:04 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here you go.....I adjusted my voltage to 2v for the nominal 1w on 4 ohms and get about 94 db.
Unless the program you're using for box modelling allows you to do the same adjustment for the vented alignment you're looking at, I suggest not doing this. Alternatively, use HornResp to model the vented alignment as well, so you can compare them directly in the same program.

Interesting idea though, putting in a "pinch" at S3 to reflect the effect of the driver on the cross-sectional area around there.

Quote:
It was actually 360cm2 that I was working with, or 14x4".
The mounting depth for the 2512 is 5.6", so that's not probably going to work out too well if you're planning to just bolt the driver to one side of the mouth. However, with 360 cm^2 available at S2, it might be possible to come up with a creative way of squeezing the driver in (e.g. magnet facing into S2, and mounting rings used at S3 to raise the driver up an inch or two so the magnet stands clear of the wall).

Hide this!Advertise here!