port placement decision

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building an active subwoofer and have 2 choices:

Either have the driver and the port at opposite "corners" of the front baffle and have the interior opening of the port ~.5" from the interior side walls of the cabinet and about 4" away from the opposite back wall.

Or

Put the sub in the middle of the front baffle and port on one of the sides, the interior opening of the port would then be ~2" from the opposite interior side.

I'm not sure visually what I would like more, or if I would just like the sound of the same box without a port (though I would like it open, even though the back will have a large heatsink it will undoubtedly get warm in there) But for either of my above choices is there any red flags?

Also, the port is tuned to 44Hz and is 2.5" in dia and about 8.5" in length box is roughtly 10x10" interior and about 12" deep

Double the Fun ....

I'm building an active subwoofer and have 2 choices:

Either have the driver and the port at opposite "corners" of the front baffle and have the interior opening of the port ~.5" from the interior side walls of the cabinet and about 4" away from the opposite back wall.

Or

Put the sub in the middle of the front baffle and port on one of the sides, the interior opening of the port would then be ~2" from the opposite interior side.

I'm not sure visually what I would like more, or if I would just like the sound of the same box without a port (though I would like it open, even though the back will have a large heatsink it will undoubtedly get warm in there) But for either of my above choices is there any red flags?

Also, the port is tuned to 44Hz and is 2.5" in dia and about 8.5" in length box is roughtly 10x10" interior and about 12" deep

Use two ports instead of just one.

Regards,

WHG

1) As per my personal experience the vent on other side sounds best. This was discussed earlier in some other threads but this has no theory discussed yet. I felt, when the woofer and vent was at same side , the bass at lower end was cut with some filter. while when at other end it gave a feeling of completeness. you can experiment.

2) avoid bending the vent there is other thread that discuses why bending is not desirable.

Port Potpourri

Hi

bass port are welcome positioned opposite the speaker device, because the bass port signal is always out of phase. Up, down or backwards is not so important :)

Bas Port AES_PortPaper

Thanks for posting the article. This is one I had not read.

The Redaction Police will be here soon, so all need to get their copy now.

For port design I use a Clothoid for the tube profile (n=2).

The Clothoid

This curve is similar to that of a JMLC Horn.

Regards,

WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.