Sub style and placment question for my room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, I got going on an idea in another thread but didn’t want to hi-jack the thread. So, the other thread was talking about putting subs in an Ikea Expedit cabinet. (not built in, but placing small subs in the compartments of the unit)

I came up with two options for my situation. What you do you guys think?

In my new room, on the front wall, I have two very good subs. I've been wanting to add two more, but don't have the room.

Idea 1. on my back wall I have a 5x5 unit Expedit shelving unit. I have the extra open compartments for two subs. should I put them in the bottom shelves or the top shelves? Or for that matter, on top of the unit?

Idea 2. My new listening room is the lower level of a tri-level house. The back of my listening room butts up to the sub-basement of the middle level. The space is 20'x30'x5' so I could mount a couple IB drivers in the back wall.

I don't know enough about IB to understand if this is a good idea or not.

For my knowledge, for bass reproduction as their propagation are spherical, it is better to put the speaker in a corner, at the floor or the ceiling, as it and the two walls act as a horn increasing efficiency.

And, also in knowledge, a 5.5 inch speaker is too small to be a subwoofer, although here in Argentina, some people are selling a "subwoofer of 3 inch!!!":confused: to be used in motorcycles:mad:.

In audio and acoustics books I have from my father, a woofer must have at least, 10 inch:rolleyes:

For my knowledge, for bass reproduction as their propagation are spherical, it is better to put the speaker in a corner, at the floor or the ceiling, as it and the two walls act as a horn increasing efficiency.

And, also in knowledge, a 5.5 inch speaker is too small to be a subwoofer, although here in Argentina, some people are selling a "subwoofer of 3 inch!!!":confused: to be used in motorcycles:mad:.

In audio and acoustics books I have from my father, a woofer must have at least, 10 inch:rolleyes:

I agree Osvaldo, in my mind, 5.5" and smaller is too small for a subwoofer, but I have not done any testing to confirm it.

Bass reproduction implies move a big mass of air, inversely proportional to the frequency to be reproduced. So it can be done with a small cone with a large travel of the moving coil in magnetic gap, or a big cone with small travel. In my opinion, second is best because limits the nonlinearity caused by the coil travel in the magnet gap. And, also in my opinion, some small "subwoofers" I listened to, the sound is unpleasant, while big cones are more pleasant. As I'm not musician, I don't how to explain these differences.

I only know, that when I was reforming my house, I had the 15" in the ceiling temporarily, using the attic as an infinite baffle. Bass was ugly. When I finished the audio room, and made my K15"+4", thing went much better. In such moment, to have a decent music volume I needed to put the volume control to 1/2 the full range, and cones move 1cm. And now in the K coupler, only a couple of millimeters, and the volume control can't go more than 1/10 its top, because sound is an earthquake. This is because I increased the irradiation resistance improving the couple between cone and air mass.

I've always wanted to try IB, but your experience and those of others I've talked to indicate that it is hit or miss or I just don't understand it's impletation. I agree with you about too much travle in small subwoofers. I have 2 very good subs now and just want to add two more to smooth out the room.

I have 2 very good subs now and just want to add two more to smooth out the room.

Be sure where do yo go to put the new subs, interference between them will de adding in some site and substracting in others, so, can be sites where sound is too loud and others too small. And not to create standing waves in the room, they resonate at only some frequency and its harmonics, and a considerable boost and attenuation in some harmonics will be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.