diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Subwoofers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/)
-   -   I have finally finished my SUB! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/21672-i-have-finally-finished-my-sub.html)

Fabiano 18th October 2003 03:45 PM

I have finally finished my SUB!

2 Attachment(s)
After almost three months simulating, planning, painting, cutting, drilling, etc. I have finally finished my Sub.

Driver: Bravox Endurance 15 inches DVC (Brazilian)
Net Volume: 135L
Port: 6 x 550mm (23Hz)

Fabiano.

SimontY 18th October 2003 05:41 PM

Congratulations! It looks really nice. How is the sound? Is it more for music or films?

-Simon

Doug 18th October 2003 05:47 PM

Sub

So, how about some details, how does it sound ?:D

Doug

Fabiano 18th October 2003 06:21 PM

It was designed more for movies, I would say 90% of the time

So far it sounds great. I intend to measure the frequency response of the sub + room. As soon as I have the results I will post here.

If you want more photos take a look at.

http://fotos.terra.com.br/album.cgi/451922

The password ("senha" in Portuguese is htforum)

Fabiano

Doug 19th October 2003 08:50 AM

Speaker Pics

Hi Fabiano;

I can't read a word on that link you provided:D :confused:

Doug

SimontY 19th October 2003 10:12 AM

Hi,

Is that white grille-covered top bit a cover for the port???

Is it downward-firing? That's what it looks like. How does it x-over to the main speakers? Is it LFE channel only? Does it rattle things?

;)

-Simon

Fabiano 19th October 2003 01:51 PM

Sorry Doug. It is in Portuguese.

SimontY:
Yes, the white grille is covering the 6-inch port.
Yes, it is a down-firing sub.
I am not using any XO, only the LFE channel of my Yamaha Receiver.
Yes, It does rattle thing! :bigeyes:

Best Regards,

Fabiano

7V 19th October 2003 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fabiano
Yes, it is a down-firing sub ...
... Yes, It does rattle thing! :bigeyes:

Congratulations Fabiano, fine work.

I'm interested in how you couple the sub to the floor as I make down-firing deep-bass units too.

I find that as there is no real likelihood of backward/forward movement, spikes are not necessary. Therefore, rather than couple to the floor I tend to isolate.

I'm currently using door-stops bolted to the bottom of the bass speakers and these are supported on 'superballs' (childrens' toys). This is a low-cost solution but works well. I don't glue the superballs to the door-stops but tend to just slip them under in situ.

The floor doesn't vibrate as much and this gives a cleaner bass.

Just to repeat though, I recommend this for downward or upward firing subs. With others the results may vary.

Fabiano 19th October 2003 07:29 PM

Hi Steve.

Very nice speakers you make. I wish I could, someday, listen to one of them.

Quote:

I find that as there is no real likelihood of backward/forward movement, spikes are not necessary. Therefore, rather than couple to the floor I tend to isolate.
Interesting. I always have been told that spikes are necessary in downfiring subs. Do you have a simple sketch or a photo of the system you use in your subs?

In my DIY project I did not use real spikes, I used some rounded nuts that act like spikes due to the small contact area. This solution works fine, at least everything else except for the contact points of these nuts and the floor rattles with the low deep frequencies produced by the sub, I guess.....

Fabiano

7V 19th October 2003 07:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Fabiano
Very nice speakers you make. I wish I could, someday, listen to one of them.
Many thanks Fabiano. Perhaps one day you'll get an opportunity to listen.
Quote:

Interesting. I always have been told that spikes are necessary in downfiring subs. Do you have a simple sketch or a photo of the system you use in your subs?
I haven't found spikes necessary. They just rattle the floor boards. I've attached an image of the bottom of one Little Awesome which is on top of another one. The same applies when they are on the floor though.