Midbass tapped horns? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2012, 03:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Midbass tapped horns?

I haven't seen any designs which focus on midbass as opposed to lower extension.
Any designs for midbass tapped horns to be coupled with large sub-bass tapped horns? (potential to mate up to smaller midrange horns)

Possible goals:
Figure 80-300hz (less than 2 octaves)
Smallish size, made from 1/2" Baltic Birch for lightweight
12-15" driver for $200 USD or less price

Just an idea!

Btw not sure if anyone has seen (heard) the 3 way Void horn tops, but I have seen them at the last few parties I've been to. The setups were crossed right to double 18's and lacked some midbass IMO. With the addition of a midbass tapped horn the setup would have been killer!
||| Void Acoustics ||| Changing the way you look at music ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Old 24th July 2012, 04:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have built single and double TH using Eminence Kappa 10" speakers.

Below is the response curve for the single, which is only 15" x 15" x 26.5".
It weighs 72 pounds using 3/4" birch plywood.

The dual 10 version was 15" deep by 22.5" tall, 26.5" wide. For PA mid bass use, the exit could be shifted so the cabinet would be 22.5" deep and only 15" tall.

I did some distortion tests on the single, unfortunately burning a portion of the voice coil which was rubbing due to a cobby cone repair Frankensteined together that resulted in uneven voice coil alignment. Also, the test was done in 100 degree temperature with the magnet structure directly exposed to the desert sun, it was too hot to touch when it burned out. Normally I only expose the speaker to high power sine wave for about 2-3 seconds, then wait 10 seconds before advancing to the next tone. In this case, I was (slowly) typing levels, then shifting to the next frequency rather than doing screen shots and extracting info later. I think the driver easily would have easily survived the test if I would have used shorter duration sine wave tones and the driver was shaded.

The upper output is impressive for a box that size, 126 dB using 54V (365 watts @ 8 ohm) one meter with less than 10% distortion. Distortion would probably have been less with a stock Kappa 10", the box works quite well as a drum fill, crossing a pair of 4" above it at around 200 Hz. The picture shows the little 2 x4" with an EV tweeter bolted on to it, used it for side coverage on a recent show.

Art

P.S. The 45 Hz sine wave test was first, it is well below what the cabinet does well. Next test was 60 Hz, where the TH has good kick, then on up to 250 Hz.
I then typed in the frequencies for a 45 Hz and 50 Hz test, but burned up the speaker before finishing typing in the 50 Hz fundamental level, the 45 Hz test was not done.
Attached Images
File Type: png TH 10".png (85.1 KB, 812 views)
File Type: png Drum fill.png (146.0 KB, 785 views)
File Type: png TH 10 Sine wave.png (21.0 KB, 770 views)

Last edited by weltersys; 24th July 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 21st August 2012, 01:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
Btw not sure if anyone has seen (heard) the 3 way Void horn tops, but I have seen them at the last few parties I've been to. The setups were crossed right to double 18's and lacked some midbass IMO. With the addition of a midbass tapped horn the setup would have been killer!
||| Void Acoustics ||| Changing the way you look at music ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Yeah, Monarch in SF has those tops. Not saying the system sounded complete, but the tops sounded better than most other systems I've heard. Not ear piercing and very neutral sounding.

After a successful build of a pair of TH-18s, I'm also looking to upgrade my tops to match their high quality sound, DIY style.

Art, in another thread a while back, you brought up the idea of designing a top with (3) 6" drivers, IIRC. At what freq would you cross them over down low? What style cab did you see this working in? I'm very interested in designing/building multi-driver tops (synergy horns included).
Old 21st August 2012, 02:19 PM   #4
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Why would the horn need to be "tapped" to do 80-300? Might need to be folded for sure. I've built two designs front loaded. They're not tiny, but they're smaller than most real subwoofers. A full 4 foot path isn't that hard to squeeze into a box.
Old 21st August 2012, 02:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I haven't seen any designs which focus on midbass as opposed to lower extension.
Any designs for midbass tapped horns to be coupled with large sub-bass tapped horns? (potential to mate up to smaller midrange horns)

Possible goals:

Just an idea!

I don't think tapped horns are the way to go (gasp, right?) for midbass, given the cancelations/peaks they have above their narrow passband. Most Kick Bins are small folded horns, but there are some rear vented horns around which I've been looking at....

Altec 816 copies with different woofer and wood?
Old 21st August 2012, 02:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here's a Void Paraflex kick/sub with a vented horn:

http://www.voidaudio.com/product_detail.asp?id=54

http://www.voidaudio.com/pdf/plots/P...360%20Plot.pdf

The staysis X and arcline X are also some sort of variation of a horn/vent design....

Last edited by turbodawg; 21st August 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 21st August 2012, 03:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Possible goals:

Just an idea!
Thought this was neat, but not small:

my kick horn plans - The Coffin Bin - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
Old 21st August 2012, 04:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
Art, in another thread a while back, you brought up the idea of designing a top with (3) 6" drivers, IIRC. At what freq would you cross them over down low? What style cab did you see this working in? I'm very interested in designing/building multi-driver tops (synergy horns included).
I don't recall the 3x6" design, but I built a pair of small FLH/BR 2 x 6" using Eminence Alpha 6" and an APT HF driver.
I had toyed with the idea of making a Synergy type horn, but didn't as the depth would not work for the application.

The raw response of the 2x6T is not very smooth, but once equalized the cabinets sound quite good and get LOUD and clean for their size (26.5 x 15 x11.25) and weight (40 pounds).

I have been crossing them at 100 Hz.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: png 2x6T A&B.png (114.5 KB, 669 views)
Old 21st August 2012, 04:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
I don't recall the 3x6" design, but I built a pair of small FLH/BR 2 x 6" using Eminence Alpha 6" and an APT HF driver.
I had toyed with the idea of making a Synergy type horn, but didn't as the depth would not work for the application.

The raw response of the 2x6T is not very smooth, but once equalized the cabinets sound quite good and get LOUD and clean for their size (26.5 x 15 x11.25) and weight (40 pounds).

I have been crossing them at 100 Hz.

Art
Awesome, that's very close to what I'm looking to build from that other thread....any pics or design notes? Thanks!
Old 21st August 2012, 05:20 PM   #10
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi m R g S r,

The 80-300Hz frequency range is such a critical range that I would suggest a FLH, and when I try to simulate it I always end up with something like the LaScala. Sure would be nice to see a tapped horn, that can outperform this. I'll attach a Hornresp Input screen (more like 90-400Hz).

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLH_Kappa_15A_LaScala_mouth_length_Input.jpg (37.1 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg FLH_Kappa_15A_LaScala_mouth_length_SPL.jpg (28.0 KB, 141 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!