Midbass tapped horns?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I happened to model the offset horn last night and really didn't have much luck. I did model a Alpha-6c in a small tapped horn and got around 6 liters and good gain to about 150 hz or so. So maybe there is something to this.

Also modeled the alpha-6c as a ported and sealed chamber BPH (bandpass horn), which is a front loaded horn with a large front chamber, and it looked pretty promising.

hi guys . just wondering , since paraline loading is very effecient in hf drivers.

>>>> can paraline loading be used in unity horn or synergy horn tweeters like in danleys gh60 .
Paraline loading is no more efficient than a conical horn.

The purpose of a Paraline is to reduce vertical dispersion to only a few degrees without requiring a long throat, not what one normally wants in a Unity/Synergy horn.

tapped midbass horn

I have built single and double TH using Eminence Kappa 10" speakers.

Below is the response curve for the single, which is only 15" x 15" x 26.5".
It weighs 72 pounds using 3/4" birch plywood.

The dual 10 version was 15" deep by 22.5" tall, 26.5" wide. For PA mid bass use, the exit could be shifted so the cabinet would be 22.5" deep and only 15" tall.

I did some distortion tests on the single, unfortunately burning a portion of the voice coil which was rubbing due to a cobby cone repair Frankensteined together that resulted in uneven voice coil alignment. Also, the test was done in 100 degree temperature with the magnet structure directly exposed to the desert sun, it was too hot to touch when it burned out. Normally I only expose the speaker to high power sine wave for about 2-3 seconds, then wait 10 seconds before advancing to the next tone. In this case, I was (slowly) typing levels, then shifting to the next frequency rather than doing screen shots and extracting info later. I think the driver easily would have easily survived the test if I would have used shorter duration sine wave tones and the driver was shaded.

The upper output is impressive for a box that size, 126 dB using 54V (365 watts @ 8 ohm) one meter with less than 10% distortion. Distortion would probably have been less with a stock Kappa 10", the box works quite well as a drum fill, crossing a pair of 4" above it at around 200 Hz. The picture shows the little 2 x4" with an EV tweeter bolted on to it, used it for side coverage on a recent show.

Art

P.S. The 45 Hz sine wave test was first, it is well below what the cabinet does well. Next test was 60 Hz, where the TH has good kick, then on up to 250 Hz.
I then typed in the frequencies for a 45 Hz and 50 Hz test, but burned up the speaker before finishing typing in the 50 Hz fundamental level, the 45 Hz test was not done.

I have build double version of Cowan 60-250hz 10TH and it sounds excellent in midbass range. Way better then Altec 7 and other FHL that I tried.
Art, can you publish your 210th plan, or can you email it to me? I want to give it a try.
Thank you,
Sergey.
zuma13oh@yahoo.com

This just confused me that little bit more, it seems everyones divided on the tapped horn thing.. from what I can gather, tapped horns sound nice for midbass but their phasing issues and little blips mean they're not as accurate as a flh, even though they sound subjectively nicer to some? Am I gettin the right idea?

This just confused me that little bit more, it seems everyones divided on the tapped horn thing.. from what I can gather, tapped horns sound nice for midbass but their phasing issues and little blips mean they're not as accurate as a flh, even though they sound subjectively nicer to some? Am I gettin the right idea?
Tapped horns frequency and phase response usually extends smoothly enough to cover a bit over two octaves (30-120 Hz, 60-240 Hz etc.) when used with 24 dB per octave crossovers.

A front loaded horn may extend as much as a decade (30-300 Hz, 60-600 Hz with usable smooth response.

Used within their respective limits, either can be quite usable.

I have build double version of Cowan 60-250hz 10TH and it sounds excellent in midbass range. Way better then Altec 7 and other FHL that I tried.
Art, can you publish your 210th plan, or can you email it to me? I want to give it a try.
Sergey,

The 1x10" and 2x10" TH really were just done to re-use some existing cabinet shells and speakers that were gathering dust. Not an optimum design in any respect, but they do well in the kick bass range with a healthy bit of EQ.

The Keystone exit smoothed out the response slightly compared to the straight mouth, but you will have to approximate the size from the photograph, as I did not write down the dimensions before selling the cabinets.

Art

Attachments

• 2x10" Keystone.png
    2x10" Keystone.png
    643.1 KB · Views: 486
  • WS 10" TH.jpg
    WS 10" TH.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 467
hi guys . just wondering , since paraline loading is very effecient in hf drivers.

>>>> can paraline loading be used in unity horn or synergy horn tweeters like in danleys gh60 .

If anything, a Paraline is *less* efficient in the upper limits of it's response, compared to a conical horn.

If you look at the frequency response of horns with a very narrow coverage angle, you'll notice a series of peaks and dips. This is due to a combination of factors, including comb filtering and often due to the horn being too small.

A Paraline is *very* narrow, so you see these issues.

That's probably the reason that VTC, Danley and Yorkville only use them as the first stage in a larger horn. It's basically a horn feeding a horn.

I still like 'em though. You can package them in some very unique ways.

Sergey,

The 1x10" and 2x10" TH really were just done to re-use some existing cabinet shells and speakers that were gathering dust. Not an optimum design in any respect, but they do well in the kick bass range with a healthy bit of EQ.

The Keystone exit smoothed out the response slightly compared to the straight mouth, but you will have to approximate the size from the photograph, as I did not write down the dimensions before selling the cabinets.

Art

Thank s a lot, Art.
It's seems very compact too.
Can't wait the weekend!

Sergey,

Art
Aloha Art.
Tried to build it today... There is something wrong. When I followed those dimensions I ended up with something like that.

Or am I wrong? (black is metric size).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    579.8 KB · Views: 408
Ahhhhh I see now! So is it just a matter of choosing a useful 2octave bandwidth and designing a th around it? I'd be happy with them playing 1 octave to be honest, my mid tops cross at like 125 anyway

Note that you can sometimes get more bandwidth and the same efficiency with a FLH. Whether a FLH or a TH is optimum will really depend on the driver and how much space you have to work with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.