Midbass tapped horns? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2013, 01:13 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

This just confused me that little bit more, it seems everyones divided on the tapped horn thing.. from what I can gather, tapped horns sound nice for midbass but their phasing issues and little blips mean they're not as accurate as a flh, even though they sound subjectively nicer to some? Am I gettin the right idea?
Old 3rd September 2013, 06:09 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokzi View Post
This just confused me that little bit more, it seems everyones divided on the tapped horn thing.. from what I can gather, tapped horns sound nice for midbass but their phasing issues and little blips mean they're not as accurate as a flh, even though they sound subjectively nicer to some? Am I gettin the right idea?
Tapped horns frequency and phase response usually extends smoothly enough to cover a bit over two octaves (30-120 Hz, 60-240 Hz etc.) when used with 24 dB per octave crossovers.

A front loaded horn may extend as much as a decade (30-300 Hz, 60-600 Hz with usable smooth response.

Used within their respective limits, either can be quite usable.
Old 3rd September 2013, 06:42 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Ahhhhh I see now! So is it just a matter of choosing a useful 2octave bandwidth and designing a th around it? I'd be happy with them playing 1 octave to be honest, my mid tops cross at like 125 anyway
Old 3rd September 2013, 06:47 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ahhhhh I see now! So is it just a matter of choosing a useful 2octave bandwidth and designing a th around it?
Yup, easy as that .
Old 3rd September 2013, 06:59 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grec13 View Post
I have build double version of Cowan 60-250hz 10TH and it sounds excellent in midbass range. Way better then Altec 7 and other FHL that I tried.
Art, can you publish your 210th plan, or can you email it to me? I want to give it a try.
Sergey,

The 1x10" and 2x10" TH really were just done to re-use some existing cabinet shells and speakers that were gathering dust. Not an optimum design in any respect, but they do well in the kick bass range with a healthy bit of EQ.

The Keystone exit smoothed out the response slightly compared to the straight mouth, but you will have to approximate the size from the photograph, as I did not write down the dimensions before selling the cabinets.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: png 2x10" Keystone.png (643.1 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg WS 10" TH.jpg (65.4 KB, 211 views)
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:23 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewin View Post
hi guys . just wondering , since paraline loading is very effecient in hf drivers.

>>>> can paraline loading be used in unity horn or synergy horn tweeters like in danleys gh60 .
If anything, a Paraline is *less* efficient in the upper limits of it's response, compared to a conical horn.

If you look at the frequency response of horns with a very narrow coverage angle, you'll notice a series of peaks and dips. This is due to a combination of factors, including comb filtering and often due to the horn being too small.

A Paraline is *very* narrow, so you see these issues.

That's probably the reason that VTC, Danley and Yorkville only use them as the first stage in a larger horn. It's basically a horn feeding a horn.

I still like 'em though. You can package them in some very unique ways.
Old 4th September 2013, 02:59 AM   #57
grec13 is offline grec13  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Sergey,

The 1x10" and 2x10" TH really were just done to re-use some existing cabinet shells and speakers that were gathering dust. Not an optimum design in any respect, but they do well in the kick bass range with a healthy bit of EQ.

The Keystone exit smoothed out the response slightly compared to the straight mouth, but you will have to approximate the size from the photograph, as I did not write down the dimensions before selling the cabinets.

Art
Thank s a lot, Art.
It's seems very compact too.
Can't wait the weekend!
Old 15th September 2013, 08:18 AM   #58
grec13 is offline grec13  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Sergey,

Art
Aloha Art.
Tried to build it today... There is something wrong. When I followed those dimensions I ended up with something like that.

Or am I wrong? (black is metric size).
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (579.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 15th September 2013, 03:48 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grec13 View Post
Aloha Art.
Tried to build it today... There is something wrong. When I followed those dimensions I ended up with something like that.

Or am I wrong? (black is metric size).
The question mark dimension is 5.25 inches, 25" (interior dimension) -19.75"= 5.25".
Old 20th September 2013, 01:20 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ahhhhh I see now! So is it just a matter of choosing a useful 2octave bandwidth and designing a th around it? I'd be happy with them playing 1 octave to be honest, my mid tops cross at like 125 anyway
Note that you can sometimes get more bandwidth and the same efficiency with a FLH. Whether a FLH or a TH is optimum will really depend on the driver and how much space you have to work with.

Hide this!Advertise here!