Lab 12 Based Offset Driver - Mass Loaded - Transmission Line (OD-ML-TL) Design by Bj - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2013, 02:29 PM   #201
diyAudio Member

That bright paint in the vent is a rather nice touch. I might have to borrow that for finishing my current project.

Looks good, bet it sounds as good too.

Chris
Old 16th May 2013, 02:35 PM   #202
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
That bright paint in the vent is a rather nice touch. I might have to borrow that for finishing my current project.

Looks good, bet it sounds as good too.

Chris
Thanks I borrowed that idea from Volvotreter, he does his horns like that. I was thinking of doing some lines around the edges too, give it a tron-ish look.
Old 16th May 2013, 02:48 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Oh no...

I just simulated my JBL GTO1214s in this enclosure. Pretty much flat to 20Hz, and good for >100Hz.

Might've found a nice Summer project. Currently its between this design and a couple more drivers in sealed cabinets, with lots of power and some eq.

What sort of weight are those things?
I'm a student, so if I do decide to build something this big, I'll have to move them each year.

You mentioned an EP 2000 amplifier (way back on page 10). Would I be right in thinking that's a Behringer Europower?
I've been thinking of getting a 2nd hand one of those for a while, as I'm finding even my most powerful amp (550w) a bit short.
Old 16th May 2013, 03:04 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Oh no...

I just simulated my JBL GTO1214s in this enclosure. Pretty much flat to 20Hz, and good for >100Hz.

Might've found a nice Summer project. Currently its between this design and a couple more drivers in sealed cabinets, with lots of power and some eq.

What sort of weight are those things?
I'm a student, so if I do decide to build something this big, I'll have to move them each year.

You mentioned an EP 2000 amplifier (way back on page 10). Would I be right in thinking that's a Behringer Europower?
I've been thinking of getting a 2nd hand one of those for a while, as I'm finding even my most powerful amp (550w) a bit short.
Yeah, I currently have an EP2000, but I think these drivers can take a little more, I've never, ever heard them bottom even with 1812 cannon blasts that pop the clip indicators.

I'll weigh one in a sec.

Edit: They're about 120 lbs each.

Last edited by DrDyna; 16th May 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 16th May 2013, 03:04 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

The bright paint on the port does look nice!
Old 16th May 2013, 03:25 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Last one, here they are in their spots, pics are a bit grainy, it's dark in this room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OD-ML-TL-Finished4.jpg (188.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 16th May 2013, 04:02 PM   #207
NWCgrad is offline NWCgrad  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice! The bright color puts them over the top.

I'm still working on the cutsheet for tb46's fold. My wife preferred it to BP1's fold as it will take up less floor space. Would have the cutsheet finished but I can't seem to focus lately.

I did model the Epic 12's in the new design, looks really good. I may end up buying a pair after I buy a new amp and MIC2200 (the HPF and two bands of parametric equalization). Right now I am leaning towards a QSC PL340 or Crest CA9 (the Mael-X can take 1400 W/4 ohms in the TTWQT design).

Last edited by NWCgrad; 16th May 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 16th May 2013, 06:16 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Nice! The bright color puts them over the top.

I'm still working on the cutsheet for tb46's fold. My wife preferred it to BP1's fold as it will take up less floor space. Would have the cutsheet finished but I can't seem to focus lately.

I did model the Epic 12's in the new design, looks really good. I may end up buying a pair after I buy a new amp and MIC2200 (the HPF and two bands of parametric equalization). Right now I am leaning towards a QSC PL340 or Crest CA9 (the Mael-X can take 1400 W/4 ohms in the TTWQT design).
Yeah, I love the color, I think I might do some accent pieces on my mains the same way, but I have to be careful, the mains are close to the screen and I think brash colors might be distracting.

As far as EQ / HPF goes, with the Epic 12, depending on how much power you throw at them, I'm really hesitating to even hook the MiniDSP up and re-engage my HPF, I'm into the clip indicators with the EP2000 @ 4 ohms and I've never had any bottoming or nasty sounds (except for clipping if I let it clip hard). I'm not sure if it has anything to do with shorting rings or just the way the driver is designed.

I'm not sure about the Eminence driver, as I've never owned or tried one.

One thing I wanted to run past everyone here, but I've really been trying to find a position up front for the subs, but of all the designs I've had, I always end up with them at the back of the room. They seem way more even back there, but it's easy to tell where they are and I've been trying to get away from that sensation...which seems a lot like in a car, you can always tell the sub is in the trunk :P

For fun today, I tried turning the subs and the listening position 90 degrees, so that the listening position was along a long wall and the speakers were along the other long wall. The bass seems much, much better like this.

I'm wondering, is it because of the cement walls?

I've been wrestling with this issue in this room for a while, I wonder if anyone has an opinion on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtfbass.jpg (32.1 KB, 222 views)
Old 16th May 2013, 08:10 PM   #209
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@ DrDyna

Have you got any electronic delay in your system to time correct Everything together ?
Old 16th May 2013, 08:17 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
@ DrDyna

Have you got any electronic delay in your system to time correct Everything together ?
Yeah, the receiver has distance settings.

Hide this!Advertise here!