Lab 12 Based Offset Driver - Mass Loaded - Transmission Line (OD-ML-TL) Design by Bj - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2013, 05:04 PM   #151
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

NWCgrad's OD_MLTL? Your link justs goes to the top of the page............ http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...al_f3-21hz.jpg

GM
Old 11th May 2013, 11:08 AM   #152
DrDyna is online now DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
NWCgrad's OD_MLTL? Your link justs goes to the top of the page............ http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...al_f3-21hz.jpg

GM
Sorry, it was meant to go to the post where I uploaded a picture of the one I built, it was a quick-ish assembly with extra glue and uglyness that I really did just to see how the OD-ML-TL would sound.

I've spent the last couple of days off and on putting together a pair of them with a lot more care. I have one finished and the second one just needs to have the driver opening routed and the last side glued on.

Here's the one that's done. (No finish work yet.) The other one is coming later today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new-od-ml-tl.jpg (121.5 KB, 239 views)
Old 11th May 2013, 04:29 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

I do like how the port flares out!
Old 11th May 2013, 04:35 PM   #154
NWCgrad is offline NWCgrad  United States
diyAudio Member

It does look ready for business, can't wait to hear impressions of two of them. I am leaning towards using mine in a 2 channel music only system and going with a few 18" subs for HT. But everything is subject to change. Still have a few more months before I can start cutting plywood.
Old 11th May 2013, 04:39 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

A TTQWT will give you a wide frequency response for both HT and music!
Old 11th May 2013, 05:04 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

I have a TTQWT design from bjorno and tb46 for my 18" maelstrom x driver. It is tuned down to 13 Hz before the freq resp plummets and cone excursion goes crazy (10 Hz HPF required).

However, the enclosure is rather large. I am beginning to think 4 sealed subs (~5 cu ft each) would provide a smoother in room response and with a little EQ could get decent output to single digits. There are some blu ray's with significant impact below 10 Hz, but I'm not sure its worth the pursuit.

I'm torn, as I have never had a bass system that could go lower than 25 Hz with any authority. Perhaps I should find another 18" driver that models well in the bjorno/tb46 TTQWT design and couple the pair with the LAB 12's. The TTWQT design's projected response gets wonky above 60 Hz. I could use the TTQWT for the ULF and the LAB's for 30 to 120 Hz (120.Hz is the upper limit for the .1 channel).

Advise always sought and carefully considered. I am closely watching DrDyna's experience with this build. I assume they would play nice with the TQWT's. I have both a Behringer and MiniDSP for knocking down the peaks, hopefully the mutli subs will minimize the nulls (should let the literature). I am learning a lot in this thread, I hope it keeps going.

Last edited by NWCgrad; 11th May 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12th May 2013, 05:46 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
That TQWT Oliver posted, which I believe to be along the lines of what you were talking about.........
Correct.

GM
Old 12th May 2013, 06:00 AM   #158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Correct.

GM
I played with tb46's model on hornresp and it looked pretty good to my untrained eye. Everytime I learn something in hornresrep I forget it next time I use the program. It isn't vet intuitive to me.

Would be cool to "see" what his TTWQT looks like, I think it would be a great match to the Mal-X design he visualized for me. With bjorno and tb46 this adventure would have been stillborn.
Old 12th May 2013, 06:53 AM   #159
diyAudio Member

Actually, it's very good.

GM
Old 12th May 2013, 11:32 AM   #160
DrDyna is online now DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

I finished the second one yesterday and spent a little time listening to the pair of them. I'm going to have to have the placement dance, I think I'm going to end up with a lower LPF and subs toward the back of the room again, they sound a little anemic when they're up front like that. Plenty of wall-breathing down really low, but hardly any visceral "kick".

My girlfriend actually commented that she was "spoiled" on the tapped horns and wasn't very impressed..I'm going to blame 75% of it on placement.

Once I find a spot where I can get a little hair-raising out of em, I'll try some real full-power testing. To me, they have a lot of potential to be very musical and "vanishing act" type subs, but I might have to augment them with another giant tapped horn just to have something that'll suck the breath out of you for HT and for when the girl feels like dancing :P

Hide this!Advertise here!