pyle 15" subwoofer model PLWB158

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i tested one of these drivers
BRAND NEW RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX
with a parts express dayton wt3 woofer tester

the results i have are.

31.63 HZ.

7.481 ohms

QTS 1.289

QES 1.783

LE 2.073

MMS 99.14 GRAMS

VAS 7.939 CF

SPL 87.9

--------------------------------

OWNERS MANUAL LISTED SPECS

Fs:20, Qms:5.0, Qes:0.91, Qts:0.70, Vas (Cu ft)5.100

:hypno2:

Well it is Pyle;) probably been sitting in a pile for quite a while. Cone probably drifted causing the qts shift. Or it could be the same ol' s$#% from them...buncha bogus specs. I have visions of a room of semi- trained monkeys in Pyle's spec dept. Typing this drivel out.

Wow, good job pyle. Qes 1.8? Yoikes. Sometimes I get the feeling like the (I believe incorrect) use of the word "quality" as a way to describe or define what "Q" is in speaker specifications, may have been misinterpreted by the monkeys at places like Pyle and Pyramid.

Last edited:
Hi,

When you get a driver with higher Fs and Vas than the claimed specs
things look very fishy as that implies a change in cone mass, i.e.
30Hz and 8cuft versus 20Hz and 5cuft imply for the same driver
area very different cone masses, the numbers simply don't add up.

Try checking the numbers with driver definition in WinIsdPro.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Pyle speaker susually have the bare minimum of specs, usually not even X-max!

Baron Groog what could be causing your hit and miss situation with the added mass test? I use a scale that is accurate to 0.001 grams and I get pretty consistent results when using the WT2. Of course I'm not questioning your methods but that seems weird. I also calibrate the WT2 and scale evry time I measure though. I have a pyle pro PDW-21250 21" woofer that gives me different T/S specs every time I measure it which I find odd.

I found the issue was getting the mass added correct in relation to the actual MMD of the driver, I forget what it has to be-somewhere in the order of 25% of the MMD?

Not an issue for me atm as I have no use for the tester atm-what I do have use for is sunshine so I can get building for what I have already, no chance with this, very, Birtish "summer"...

Even without breakin, I'm amazed everyone is leaning in the direction of caution and "benefit of the doubt" here for pyle. These drivers are typically all over the map, and far from claimed specifications historically anyways. They slap numbers on them that "sound good" to amateurs and gamble that they will be able to sell them. In reality, people buy them, throw them in boxes, hear a loud noise, are are subsequently satisfied. I wouldn't be surprised to see one measure a 3.0 on the Qts distortion riddled richter scale.

Even without breakin, I'm amazed everyone is leaning in the direction of caution and "benefit of the doubt" here for pyle. These drivers are typically all over the map, and far from claimed specifications historically anyways. They slap numbers on them that "sound good" to amateurs and gamble that they will be able to sell them. In reality, people buy them, throw them in boxes, hear a loud noise, are are subsequently satisfied. I wouldn't be surprised to see one measure a 3.0 on the Qts distortion riddled richter scale.

:) exactly

lol, I do know some in the car audio world who get very good results from them-though they have never stated whether they measured and compared spec. These guys are running some of their super cheap subs IB.

Also I have two "matched" KEF B139 that couldn't be futher appart in spec if they tried-maybe one was made by Pyle...

I also find the power rating specs from pyle to be around 60% of the stated #'s( thru experience of course) save for any of the drivers they had Eminence make for them back in the day, they were good drivers. At that time Pyle was publishing wrong specs for those drivers too. I've had good results with the Pyramid 1811OUS-X and the Lanzar P154D woofers though, used them in a few installs.

I also find the power rating specs from pyle to be around 60% of the stated #'s( thru experience of course) save for any of the drivers they had Eminence make for them back in the day, they were good drivers. At that time Pyle was publishing wrong specs for those drivers too. I've had good results with the Pyramid 1811OUS-X and the Lanzar P154D woofers though, used them in a few installs.

That doesn't really matter when the amp doesn't make rated power by the same margin;) AFAIK we can't get Pyle here, oh-the shame, but I've measured some cheap drivers here and found massive dicrepencies-a coax advertised at 91db mustering a lowly 86db...buyer be ware isn't really fair in this game-unless you have sophisticated test equipment or enough years under your belt you'd have no way of "knowing" your amp/sub/FR won't do what it says on the tin, so most youngsters get had!

FYI,

In case the advertised T/S is not that far off::D

b:)

PS: The by OP measured T/S not suitable in any enclosure but IB.:eek:

Attachments

• PYLE_PLWB158-15_OD-TL.JPG
    PYLE_PLWB158-15_OD-TL.JPG
    617.1 KB · Views: 98
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.