My newest toy (in making)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the TH 50 spec sheet and then the WT3 sweep of this box, it looks nearly bang on. I'd be really interested to see the outdoor FR and group delay plots, looks like there should be big GD several places in band 25, 70, 95, 130... If the skp is "available" shoot me a PM will ya? I'd like to give it a gander.

I've never done an outdoor FR test, I'm not sure I know exactly what to do? I've done indoor system setups in churches and theaters, not sure if its anything similar. I'm hesitant to email the design around, even though it looks like the box that inspired the design has been discontinued

I've never done an outdoor FR test, I'm not sure I know exactly what to do? I've done indoor system setups in churches and theaters, not sure if its anything similar.
Just find a relatively open area away from large reflective surfaces and no real wind and sweep it with REW at 2v/1m and then 10v/5m, or 20v/10m if you have the space. I use a small parking lot out back... I have a small 400w inverter, that is enough to run my amp for a 100w sweep. Do you have any SPL meter to calibrate with, any mic and soundcard setup? I'd be happy to walk you through measurement setup via phone if you need a hand.

I'm hesitant to email the design around, even though it looks like the box that inspired the design has been discontinued
I understand, a reasonable choice IMO.

I have a dedicated Laptop/Smaart rig just for testing, a firewire i/o, mics etc. and plenty of room (2.5 acres) to play with. If the temp ducks down soon I'll see what I can do, looks to be near 100 for the next week at least here

Ah I C, well I don't know how to run Smaart, but as long as you do that's all that matters :D

You could always do it at night, at 100w every dog in the area will think alien invaders have landed. :D :D :D

From what I've read on avsforum, this was the sub that Danley himself used at home. And I could see why; it has the awesome response shape and phase behavior of the TH-Mini, but plays an octave lower. The location of the mouth, in the center of the box, is a good match for home theater. (You could shove it against a wall like a BDEAP.)

I wonder if DSL nuked the design because the new woofer is kinda weak?

www.mtx.com/GetFile.asp?File=F110418085832011268.pdf

The replacement for the driver has less xmax, less displacement, higher qts, and costs less.

I know I keep pushing the Alpines, but I'll bet the Type R 15" would work better than the new MTX Thunder 8000.

The driver used in this design is discontinued IIRC.
I really would not put the new 8000 series driver in the same class at all.

Using the OP's pic, and the manual from DSL, I made a 'guesstimate' of the TH-50.

alpine%2520vs%2520mtx.jpg

Here's the response using the MTX, and using *four* of the Alpine SWS-10D2. (The smoother response is the Alpine, versus the 'peaky' MTX response.) Pretty nice, no? :)

From this post here:

Louder than a PK Sound CX 800 - Page 2 - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.