Defeated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think Mick was referring to this: (edit it was first listed 9th Mar 2011)

Last updated on 18 Apr, 2012 03:50:23 AEST View all revisions

I'm looking at the cabinet volume and going :eek:

Krix is a highly regarded (at least here in Aus) Aussie speaker company. at $995 that seems like a steal...

Tony.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ah, I see. Maybe it depends on the quality of the drivers. You could spend that much on a single JBL 18", or you could pick up a pair of rather nice RCF, Selenium, Eminence, P.Audio or B&C 18s for about $400 here in the US. 3 or 4 sheets of MDF and some hardware would complete the job. You'd be in for under $600 US.

Maybe speaker prices are much higher down there?

Krix are barely known in the US, so I'm not surprised it won't sell easily.

It's probably a pair of Beyma 18LX60 or G450. Probably do better to sell the drivers raw. Besides, they're not really HT subs, more like midbasses. I used to use my JBLs for that at home before I started working with the AE drivers.

Reminds me I still have some 18's to sell myself.

Krix experience sound - Commercial Cinema - United States

Tony, Yes indeed, respected by these ears at least. If I could score 1 of those here in oz for a grand, i'd have it in a heartbeat. I maybe a bit of a Robinson Crusoe on this one, but I honestly think that Krix have one of the most impressive 'hit vs miss' ratios going around, in that very few of their products are anywhere near mediocre price for price, and most excel and punch well above their weight. IMHHO.

Brett, I agree with the not really HT subs as they are actual commercial cinema subs, but midbasses? How so?

Brett, I agree with the not really HT subs as they are actual commercial cinema subs, but midbasses? How so?
Are you serious? Vd determines SPL for a given frequency and each octave lower requires 4x Vd, before you take Fletcher Munson into account. They are useful at home to maybe 30Hz (EQ'd sealed) so make midbasses as far as HT is concerned. You'd need about 4 of each of these drivers to match an LMS5400 in terms of Vd.

Terrific at what they do, but only 'subs' in the PA definition of the word.

Yes, I was actually serious, no disrespect meant at all. I just saw them sitting there @ Ebay for soo long and was genuinely dumbstruck. I won't pretend to know how they would work in a HT setup, I have virtually no experience with the hardcore side of subs but, I do know they can shake the popcorn out of a cup in a full size cinema with ease, call it a noob mistake. Krix define it as a sub but i'm not sure what is considered 'true' sub within these walls, maybe that's where i'm getting it wrong, cheers.

Yes, I was actually serious, no disrespect meant at all. I just saw them sitting there @ Ebay for soo long and was genuinely dumbstruck. I won't pretend to know how they would work in a HT setup, I have virtually no experience with the hardcore side of subs but, I do know they can shake the popcorn out of a cup in a full size cinema with ease, call it a noob mistake. Krix define it as a sub but i'm not sure what is considered 'true' sub within these walls, maybe that's where i'm getting it wrong, cheers.
Actual cinemas have nothing on hard core HTs can do in terms of bass and most cinemas are not that far from a PA set up. Cinema subs are usually ported 18's tuned a bit lower than PA, but still output limited below 25Hz or so and most in Oz that I've seen, might have 8 drivers total and typical PA drivers have an Xmax <10mm. I can think of a number of HT that have this many 18" drivers with 30mm Xmax in rooms 1/20th or less of even a small multiplex type cinema.

For midbass in an HT one of these pro 18" drivers sealed will work very, very well even at high SPL above say 60-80Hz, and with music at lower, but still high peak SPL an octave lower. For HT use multiple distributed subs for LF.

If I still had my PA, I would use DJK's PPSL 6th order. Last rig as conventional 6th order ported.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think that you guys are operating on a different existential plane :D for your average person (or even diyer) the Krix subs would be more than adequate ;)

Compared to average Joe who has a $3000 (complete cost) HT system, the KRIX is going to be awsome ;) What you guys speak of is really really hard core home theater!! Just my opinion of course :)

Tony.

Compared to average Joe who has a $3000 (complete cost) HT system, the KRIX is going to be awsome ;)
But it won't go deep, just loud.

It's an ironic comment though, considering what some of the obsessives around here can spend on a single component like a cap.

Just about right I think (not mine)
o1tjt.jpg

I think the 14 litres of one way displacement should be enough for me in 53m³ room I have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.