Visaton W200S-8 Tapped Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there folks,

I recently played with Hornresp and designed this TH with the Visaton W200S-8 driver. The design I came up with was a pretty simple design which is also very easy to build. It's fairly flat from about 35 Hz to about 90 Hz.
The -3dB point are: 30 Hz and 98 Hz.
The efficiency is about 90 dB/2.83V at 2.0 Pi which is good (I think.)
The good part is that it's a very cheap driver. It costs 40 euro's in the Netherlands, which is about 50 dollars.

So I build one of these pictures will come later and I found out that it is very loud with little power. and it very clear bass. I placed it behind our couch and my dad couldn't find it. :p

I do not have any accurate microphones or spl meters so I can't measure it for you guys. I did measured the max power without any audible distortion. It was about 10 Volts with a 35 Hz sine wave. Which would be about 15 watts. At this power everything in the house was shaking. Which is good for one 8 inch driver.

So what do you guys think of it?

Attachments

• w200s tekening.png
    w200s tekening.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 687
  • w200s hornresp.png
    w200s hornresp.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 678
Hi there folks,

I recently played with Hornresp and designed this TH with the Visaton W200S-8 driver. The design I came up with was a pretty simple design which is also very easy to build. It's fairly flat from about 35 Hz to about 90 Hz.
The -3dB point are: 30 Hz and 98 Hz.
The efficiency is about 90 dB/2.83V at 2.0 Pi which is good (I think.)
The good part is that it's a very cheap driver. It costs 40 euro's in the Netherlands, which is about 50 dollars.

So I build one of these pictures will come later and I found out that it is very loud with little power. and it very clear bass. I placed it behind our couch and my dad couldn't find it. :p

I do not have any accurate microphones or spl meters so I can't measure it for you guys. I did measured the max power without any audible distortion. It was about 10 Volts with a 35 Hz sine wave. Which would be about 15 watts. At this power everything in the house was shaking. Which is good for one 8 inch driver.

So what do you guys think of it?

Hi,

Nice TH layout, Hint. Due to low compression ratio, your design can be stuffed slightly(Stuffing near the walls) starting at the throat , this would improve performance.

The driver sounds very good IME, and I guess in most types of enclosures.

To squeeze out most of this driver (primarily music use) I vote for a T-TQWT
that when compared with your TH would win on all performance points.:D

b:)

Attachments

• Visaton-W200S_T-TQWT_versus_TH.JPG
    Visaton-W200S_T-TQWT_versus_TH.JPG
    540.5 KB · Views: 660
I have a spare W 200 S, this unit is collecting dust. I would like to built your tapped horn of the TQWT design. Are there designs available, and that tapped horn, where to place the woofer. Direct at the front or a little deeper in the TP?

I hope you reply, because this post is fairly old.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.