The Last Subwoofer You Will Ever Need

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have NO IDEA who this person is nor do I have any involvement WHATSOEVER with the owner, or the speaker or its sale... That out of the way, I saw this and had to mention it here! I own large sound systems (think arenas...) and have been an EAW user and fan for many years. I use the SB528z subs for nearly everything. EAW: SB528z
This sub for sale looks like two SB528z cabinets in a push pull configuration. I can tell you that those cabinets (SB528z) are tight, clean and deep for commercial subs. (bass into the mid 20s when grouped up) They play dubstep for 10 hours straight... dump a complete shelf of bottles on the floor from vibrations in big clubs and will generally terrify people. The driver is the 18 sound 18lw1400.

Here is the cabinet for sale eaw sb864 passive sub

It is unlikely, even with shipping, that any of us could do better DIY. I love velodyne servo subs and these have a similar "stop on a dime" sound but with 10 times more output. The cabinets are tuned to 27hz, not so good for organ music but because of the low tuning, group delay for music is not a problem. I am always shocked at how excellent the pitch definition is on the 528s, probably because of the carbon fiber loaded cone and the port not really being used for musical notes, only for the low, LOW rumbles, etc.

Cheers!

The Last Sub...

8 tapped horns would be easier to move than one 500lb monster.

Agreed. I've used many EAWs, and a whole host of other brands. Given the choice I would take TH-118. 3 118s also weigh 480lbs, have 10800W program power rating, and will hit 150dbspl. The major plus, as Doom has pointed out, is the portability. I can easily move 2 TH-118s(or 115s) at a time by myself at a jog (one in front and one behind).

I've never had an easier sub to deal with, and I've only ever blown one.

-Matt
San Francisco, CA

The cabinets are tuned to 27hz, not so good for organ music but because of the low tuning, group delay for music is not a problem. I am always shocked at how excellent the pitch definition is on the 528s, probably because of the carbon fiber loaded cone and the port not really being used for musical notes, only for the low, LOW rumbles, etc.

Cheers!
Looking at the 528 spec sheet it appears they are tuned to about 31 Hz, the low "B" musical note on a 5 string bass.

The 528's 30 Hz response is 10 dB down from 100 Hz, as one would expect from a relatively small cabinet tuned low.

Attachments

• SB528.png
    SB528.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 938
Oscar, you're probably right! Mr. Doom, Matt, Weltersys, I never imagined that sub being used as a portable! Home theater, garage, whatever, put it in place and forget about it... Weltersys, yes the 528z probably uses a step-down tuning that requires eq to flatten or big piles of them for lots of coupling. I let the EAW UX8800 processor figure that part out. Interesting to me, they actually sound good crossed high (100 - 110) if I'm using smaller top boxes where most of the older generation of double 18s sounded like poop much past 80hz. They are also tuneful (probably the big motor/stiff cone) not just brutal. Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.