Error in one of R. H. Small's papers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2012, 07:09 PM   #1
jolathe is offline jolathe  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Error in one of R. H. Small's papers?

Not sure the best place to post this, thought subwoofers would be close because Small's papers are about low-frequency response of woofers. I was hoping that someone could help me out. Acoustics and electrical engineering are not my background.

I found a problem that I can't get around in R. H. Small's "Direct-Radiator Loudspeaker System Analysis" paper.

Equation (9) has an "s" in the denominator that I think should not be there. I solved his circuit in Fig. 3 for Uo, and I get his expression but I have no s in my the solution. If there is an s there, he should have included it in the G(s) term. But then G(s) would not be the lowpass filter transfer function.

Between equations (10) and (11) he writes, "Eqs. (5) and (9) may be combined with Eq. (7) to yield..." I think this should instead have stated "Eqs. (3) and (9) may be combined with Eq. (7) to yield..." Equation (5) seems to have nothing to do with equation (7), and I think he meant equation (3) instead of equation (5).

When I try to obtain Equation (11) by combining (3) and (5) with (7), I obtain his expression for (7), except that I have an omega^2 (omega=frequency in radians/sec) in the numerator which he does not have. A look at equations (2), (3), (6), and (7) seems to show that there must be an omega^2 in his expression for efficiency in equation (7).

I googled for errata for these papers, but could not find anything.
Old 1st July 2012, 07:55 PM   #2
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

post up the actual equations. I'm not an electrical engineer either, but I'm pretty good at algebraic manipulations.
Old 1st July 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here's a link to this paper:

http://documents.jordan-usa.com/Famo...m-Analysis.pdf
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:25 AM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Equation 11 is correct, and so is equation 9.

equation 9 has an s in the denominator because it is a relation in volume velocity, if you multiply both sides by s, you get a relation in acceleration, and sound pressure is proportional to acceleration.
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, equations 9 and 11 are correct. I found my mistake, I fouled up the algebra in solving for eq. 9. That s in the denominator of eq. 9 turns out to be the key to getting rid of the omega^2 which shows up when obtaining eq. 11.

Small's reference to eq. 5 when arriving at eq. 11 should definitely have been a reference to eq. 3 and not eq. 5.

Hide this!Advertise here!