Subwoofer for JBL 2235H?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Anders,

How rude of me :) It would be nice of you if you could. I plan building the speaker with 22mm mdf. Is this ideal? Also it would be really nice to get dimension of the vent/s which are easy to find. Some drawings have not the most common sizes and I totally lack knowledge in how to calclulate new mesurements (I looked at the free program you can use, and yes I can chose the JBL 2235H but that´s about it :)

150 l sounds like a good size and of course 300 l as it will be double 15". I currently have speakers which was custom made at Septon with 2245H and they are 440l each. I don´t get the sound from them as I wish. Should I keep them as well and build something tuned to 18-20Hz? or maybe that is just silly... I don´t know.

Look forward to your reply.
/Niklas

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

22mm mdf will suffice but do not forget bracing as there will be strong forces on the rather large box surfaces. IIRC, the measured boxes are made of 30mm mdf (baffle, slightly thicker) and lot of bracing. If you tune to 18-20Hz (requires a really big box) power capability will suffer in the 30-40Hz region - In the end it's all about compromises. All this can be seen in simulation.

I'll se if I can dig out some details easily (depends on my friend).

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi, Niklas

Nice that you are now battling with the sims :)

Bassreflex is a HP filter and C (Chebychev) B (Butterworth) etc are the names of different filtering characteristics. See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/123239-speaker-enclosure-calculations.html#post1513481 With the fairly low Qt of 2335H you'll probably end up with a EBS (Extended Bass Shelf) alignment. This typ of aligment usually work well in home enviroment thanks to room gain.

PS. I'll get back to you with what I promised earlier.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Niklas,

I really like the box styling! Makes long (will be needed) ports possible.

A wild guess; 320l, 4 pcs 100 x 400~500 mm ports? :)

Have you read WinISD help? There is a specific chapter on how to enter TS parameters. And I believe WinISD can crosscalc the missing ones. What parameters do you miss? I have put in 2245H in WinISD without any problem (data from JBL Spec sheet).

Hi again,

The net volume is 283,4 l and it´s tuned for 35Hz. The vents are 100 x 210 mm. The vents you´re suggesting must be for 20 Hz or?

By the way is there a good way to share pictures in this forum? From what I can understand you must add an URL... quite unqonveniant. With regards to 2245H I found most of the data needed but when it comes to the messurement of the woofer there are much to ask for... Maybe it´s possible to send me the data file you made for 2245H?

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi again,
The net volume is 283,4 l and it´s tuned for 35Hz. The vents are 100 x 210 mm. The vents you´re suggesting must be for 20 Hz or?

~25Hz tuning. Choice of tuning depends of intended use. For hifi in home enviroment I would tune low (room gain will flatten the response anyway).

By the way is there a good way to share pictures in this forum? From what I can understand you must add an URL... quite unqonveniant. With regards to 2245H I found most of the data needed but when it comes to the messurement of the woofer there are much to ask for... Maybe it´s possible to send me the data file you made for 2245H?

Just "Attach" file (your image). WinISD Pro 2245 wdr file attached. I was wrong, I didn't have 2245H file. But now I have.

PS. If you make the boxes like in your animation, do make two more. I'll pick them upp when they are ready :D

Edit: I forgot to put in Le in the 2245H file, easy to do though.

Attachments

• JBL 2245H.zip
    662 bytes · Views: 35
  • WinISD_2245H.JPG
    WinISD_2245H.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Hi Anders,

Please don´t get tired of me now... :) but the zipped file isn´t complete and don´t match the figures of your attached image above. When I try to adjust the numbers in WinISD it won´t allow me to save due to "Consistency check on following parameter group failed. Qts, Qms, Qes."
If possible I would be most grateful if I just had the net volume (excl bracing and woofer) plus the vent info. I feel little to much of a noob and it would be a shame designing and building serious subs which later will prove to be wrong and sound shite.

I understand that you´ve not managed to get hold of your buddy yet, but I think I´ll wait til you have. Thats all for now! Chat soon! Good night

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Niklas,

I’m not tired of you although I'm tired because It's late. :sleep:

The 2245H file I attached is working fine for me. I've attached a new file (with Le data). You just put the unzipped file in the "WinISD Pro/Drivers" directory and it should be selectable within WinISD.

JBL 2245H Ts parameters can be found here: http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/2245h.htm

To put in TS parameters i WinISD Pro (excerpt from help file):

"
The suggested procedure for entering driver parameters is following (check first that "Auto calculate unknowns" option is checked):
1. Enter Mms and Cms
This gives fs. If either is not available, then enter fs and other parameter.
2. Enter Sd, Bl and Re
Now, you should get all but Qms (and Qts), Vas. Please note that Vas may not match exactly what is specified by manufacturer, because exact value of Vas depends on environmental parameters. See FAQ.
3. Enter Rms or Qms.
Either one will do, although I tend to prefer Qms over Rms, because it can usually be measured in driver measurement procedures.
4. Enter Hc, Hg and Pe.
If Hc or Hg or either is available, then enter Xmax and optionally either Hc or Hg if available.
5. Enter number of voicecoils.
This procedure is most accurate. Also note that it also calculates true SPL (1W/1m) value. So it might not match the marketing SPL value, which is generally somewhat vague. Not in all cases, though.
6. Correct Znom, if necessary.
"

You are using WinISD Pro Alpha (0.50a7), right?

The documentation available about my friends sub is not complete, more of a cutting list and net volume calculation (subtracting all bracing). But I can tell that it is a 160l box tuned to ~25Hz for one 2235H with two 100mm, 400mm long bassreflex tubes.

The measurements I linked to earlier represent the result of two subs as described above.

Attachments

• JBL 2245H.zip
    664 bytes · Views: 38
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.