New sub build - requesting design ideas/help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I also posted this in another forum but I'm open to as much input as possible. To that end, I'm looking to start two new projects. 1) Sealed dual sub towers next to front L&R channels 2) large ported sub for behind couch. I'm looking for some suggestions for subs and probably need help figuring out the best enclosure volume to go with. I'll give more detail on this below. I plan to build a sub enclosure to mimic either the JL Gotham sub or the bass section of a B&W 801, or maybe a hybrid of some kind between the two. They are both reasonably similar in style...I've been looking at so many different subs that I think I'm losing my mind.

1) Budget of ~$1000 for everything

• Need 4 subs for somewhat small sealed enclosures (assumed max ~$600 spend)
  • Need pro style amp or a plate amp for each enclosure that can operate at the correct load that the speakers will present to the amp. (assumed max ~$400 spend)
  • Usage for mostly music
I'm thinking that I would prefer 12" subs for this build due to size/aesthetics of the tower enclosures I want. Two 10" in each cabinet would also be fine. I'm thinking pro style amp (Crown or similar) because the enclosures will have curved backs. I have seen pretty ridiculous pricing for some Clarion car subs. Could something like that be an option? Plate amp could work if mounted on top of the enclosure but not sure I'm cool with mounting them there. I think a pro style amp would just be easier. It's my goal to have these integrated mostly for music duty. Maybe 40-150Hz???

2) Budget ~$500 for everything

• Looking to use 1 15" sub in a long but narrow enclosure for really low frequency "movie duty"
  • I'm open to any ideas as long as they fit within a 12D x 22H x 72L space
  • Playback of only really low freq stuff during movies
My plan is to place this sub behind my couch. The above dimensions should give me 11cu/ft to play with; not accounting for driver displacement, bracing or port. I think I would like this to be tuned pretty low as it will be used for reinforcement bass during movie playback. Maybe 15-50Hz???

There will also be a part 3 of this project, build new front stage, but that may not happen until later this year. I plan to build something like the Statements lineup which will replace my current SR71's.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and let the planning begin!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.