New plate amp for Cambridge Soundworks p500 Newton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across a Cambridge Soundworks P500 subwoofer, with no controller (literally, it was on the curb!). The on-board amp is a BASH unit, and it requires the external controller, and associated RJ11 hookup (no other inputs are supported). Since I don't have/can't get a controller, I'm thinking about keeping the two 8" drivers (nice case, small package), and just installing a new plate amp. PE has a BASH 500 (which should be somewhat similar to the original amp, in rating at least). It cost $250.

If spending $250 would get a me a decent sub, I'm happy to spend it. Any opinions on the quality of the original package, the 8" drivers, or the overall advisability of my plan? Would using the 300W BASH unit result in lower sound quality, or just less power/volume?

Hi Randallm.

The amp in my P500 died. I bought Yung SD500-6 500W, put it in a home made box, and connected it to the speaker in the P500 (bypassing the original amp). I'm pleased with the result (may not be quite as good as the original and I no longer have remote volume).

If you think your amp works, let me know if you are interested in the external controller and remote (I have no user for it now).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.