Best size box for Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2012, 04:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best size box for Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF

Hey all.
If anybody has some time can you calculate me the best size box for a Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF. I already own the sub and would like to get as close to QTC .707 as possible. Size of the box doesn't matter and the amp is a 500w BASH.

Here are the specs:
Specifications: Power handling: 350 watts RMS/600 watts max VCdia: 2-1/2" Le: 1.05 mH Impedance: 4 ohms Re: 3.3 ohms Frequency range: 22 - 1,000 Hz Fs: 26 Hz Magnet weight: 100 oz. SPL: 87 dB 2.83 V/1m, 84 dB 1W/1m Vas: 1.59 cu. ft. Qms: 3.26 Qes: 0.51 Qts: 0.44 Xmax: 12.3 mm Dimensions: Overall diameter: 10-1/2", Cutout diameter: 9-1/4", Depth: 5".
Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-460

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th June 2012, 08:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't have access to Bass Box Pro anymore. Something like this look good for this driver?
Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.

OR

Last edited by nonsuchpro; 25th June 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 25th June 2012, 10:37 AM   #3
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsuchpro View Post
I don't have access to Bass Box Pro anymore. Something like this look good for this driver?
Thanks!

OR

Hi,

IMO, The closed box is OK but the ported box would have port severe issues.
A TL would be a much better performer when placed at floor level, near a room corner.

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4.JPG (544.8 KB, 479 views)
Old 25th June 2012, 11:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Placement is dead center of the back wall... about a foot off the wall. I'm a fan of seaed boxes but I kinda want this guy to go a bit lower than the sealed box can do. If I make the sealed box bigger will the F3 drop?
Thanks!!!

Last edited by nonsuchpro; 25th June 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 26th June 2012, 03:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
IMO, The closed box is OK but the ported box would have port severe issues.
I doubt it would be audible. My 10" HT sub is vented at a lower Fb with a smaller diameter, but flared, vent, and you really have to crank it, and be playing ONLY a tone at or near Fb, to hear any noise. Previously I had it tuned to 30 Hz with the same diameter flared vent. Again, no noticeable issues with music.

A TL would be nice, but likely larger than what the vented box calls for.
Old 26th June 2012, 10:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
I doubt it would be audible. My 10" HT sub is vented at a lower Fb with a smaller diameter, but flared, vent, and you really have to crank it, and be playing ONLY a tone at or near Fb, to hear any noise. Previously I had it tuned to 30 Hz with the same diameter flared vent. Again, no noticeable issues with music.

Does anybody sell TL boxes ready made?
Old 26th June 2012, 10:59 AM   #7
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh man,,,build a TL - that's the fun part! Let me know if you need assistance.
Old 27th June 2012, 06:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
Oh man,,,build a TL - that's the fun part! Let me know if you need assistance.
I'd rather buy one. It can be made much better than I can make.
Old 27th June 2012, 11:17 AM   #9
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post

Hi Brian,

I guess your BR is a different animal as tuned lower but this one, with the suggested 1:5 port diam./length would IMO sound bad... like many commercial subs or tube-like long ported car-subs Ive heard (when the Car-engine is off) with a distinctive port resonance artifact that only disappears at a low SPL volume.

I find this very annoying but don't mind when distortions 2:nd and 3:rd artefact's appears, with the volume knob turned up( If to loud just turn the volume down when sounding too harsh), and falls within within BER 1, i.e. musically fused.

When port resonances appears outside the passband in Critical Band BER2 or in ~BER 3 at a too high level its always heard separated, ..annoying, IME even at lower listening SPL with Music but may for HT use be blameless.

Here is a simple test anyone can do using a good closed sub box (f3< 40 Hz) XO = 12dB/octave min at 80Hz.. to 120..145Hz 24dB/octave:

Add a 2-3 dB third octave bump(or even a deeper dip) at 60-70 Hz. Play a Recording you are familiar with.

I never hear any difference..if the listening level is at a reasonable SPL. Sound coloration can only be heard when the Peak (dip) is made broadband . If switching over to a design with resonances:

The hear-ability is IME very different when in additional adding a resonance(s) to the in-band bump(s) >~90-100 Hz away(above the limit for a Critical BW):
The ringing tendency remains even if trying to use a steep LPF XO, IME all speakers showing quarter wave resonances can only be cured with aid of adding damping material.

Sound coloring in resonant un-stuffed enclosures is soon occurring as music is dynamic in nature.
The impact from the resonance can pop in and out depending on the probability of energy level of the resonance frequency or caused from other nearby frequencies that are triggering the same phenomenas.

The effect of simple FR amplitude anomalies is much lesser than from pipe resonance(s) and especially when the resonance amplitude decay time is long..as always are for long ports with no sufficient stuffing in the airways path.
To be effective the damping material must reach into the pipe and not only in the main box volume or to be as well damped as TL:s/T-TQWT:s or T-QWP:s are immediately provide an energy sink for sustaining resonances.

Note: The culprit is not the tone itself that if below a certain level would always disappear if having in the enclosure a decay-time-duration
<= the source signal decay).

b

PS: Adding simulations to back up my arguments..The OP suggested BR is not a design I would suggest to anyone to build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-Dayton_RSS265HF-4_ported-Bell-box.JPG (645.8 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 2-Dayton_RSS265HF-4_Ported _versus_TL.JPG (321.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 4th July 2012, 01:22 PM   #10
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Summer Sale

Dayton Audio RSS265HF-8 10" Reference HF Subwoofer 8 Ohm 295-442

How is this driver suited for a TL? (better than a BR I see)

Hide this!Advertise here!