Woofer Driver Needs a Home Built for it - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2012, 10:45 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

...(quick read). I've not used anything like that unit before. Am I to understand that it could perform the Linkwitz transform as well as the crossover duties? And would it also be able to output a balanced signal to drive bridged amp setup to drive the woofer?
Old 28th July 2012, 11:15 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I suppose more clearly, I mean can the mini dsp unit act as a crossover, and then perform a linkwitz transform on the low end output, and invert the phase of one of those low end outputs?
Old 29th July 2012, 01:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringv View Post
I suppose more clearly, I mean can the mini dsp unit act as a crossover, and then perform a linkwitz transform on the low end output, and invert the phase of one of those low end outputs?
Yes, plus time correction and parametric eq.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default That sounds pretty good for prototyping

for the price that seems like a pretty flexible tool to nail down the parameters... Hmm, You've temped me, but I'll have to see if the budget can be made to stretch to that. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 8th November 2012, 02:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Progress!

So - I went and built me a 250W Class D amp (with something a little gruntier to come) and scored a minidsp-inabox second hand for a fair price...

And now I'm having a little bit of a play with the whole lashup! I just wandered outside to make sure the house wasn't sounding like a nightclub at 11pm on a thursday.

I've manually entered an eq that kind of replicates a linkwitz transform roughly - seems I need to learn all the speaker language now, so I can program in a proper linkwitz transform into the minidsp for the components i have here. Qts, Qs, Fo, Rsvp, etc etc

In terms of driver specs/data all I really have to go on is the below graph from the datasheet mentioned in one of the previous posts (relevant bits below), and obviously thats for a completely different setup. Any suggestions for the relevant parameters anyone?

Well, I'll keep experimenting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub box.jpg (78.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png Sub Driver details.png (186.0 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by aspringv; 8th November 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 8th November 2012, 02:18 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default down or out?

Oh, and I initially set thus up to be downward firing (I read somewhere that it would likely make no difference) but I'm somewhat dubious - Any comments anyone?
Old 8th November 2012, 05:03 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

It has wheels that will space it far enough off the floor, so try it!

You might find it gets used as a coffee table, until you crank it up.

Hide this!Advertise here!