Concept, Beolab 11 style isobaric sub using Ikea Blanda metal bowls. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2012, 03:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Concept, Beolab 11 style isobaric sub using Ikea Blanda metal bowls.

Click the image to open in full size.

2x10" drivers running in isobaric configuration, using MiniDSP for crossovers,

Housed in two attached, sealed 36cm Ikea Blanda bowls. A wooden frame would hold a detached granite slab for the bowls to sit on, spikes in-between the ground/wooden frame & granite/metal bowls.

Thoughts?
Old 24th June 2012, 11:02 PM   #2
eXa is offline eXa  Norway
diyAudio Member

How do you get it to be isobaric?
Old 24th June 2012, 11:36 PM   #3
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

The depiction appears to be of the push push variety with the bowls connected at the bottom. Push push being a force cancellation strategy would not require the granite...
Old 25th June 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes they would run push pull. If im right in thinking this allows the cabinet size to be half of the recommended size.

My hi fi racks and orb like speakers all sit on granite (kitchen counter savers sm 4 lrg 9) these help to isolate vibrations and give a sturdy base thats cheaper than the oak, really flat and really stable.

For 20 on metal spun bowls, 9 granite, 4 spikes and 6 oak with a small sheet of mdf, 45 +/- I think I could be a great sounding and looking enclosure.

Looking at the peerless xls 10". Any have any idea how to model this?
Old 25th June 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ps. This design also only needs two holes cutting in a round piece of mdf. With a good router it could be constructed within a hour or two.
Old 25th June 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
Yes they would run push pull. If im right in thinking this allows the cabinet size to be half of the recommended size.

My hi fi racks and orb like speakers all sit on granite (kitchen counter savers sm 4 lrg 9) these help to isolate vibrations and give a sturdy base thats cheaper than the oak, really flat and really stable.

For 20 on metal spun bowls, 9 granite, 4 spikes and 6 oak with a small sheet of mdf, 45 +/- I think I could be a great sounding and looking enclosure.

Looking at the peerless xls 10". Any have any idea how to model this?
Maybe you could also consider Scan-Speak 26W/4558T00 in addition to Peerless 10" XXLS/835016. The Scan-Speak has a lower free-air resonance frequency and might achieve lower total Q in a similarly sized enclosure.

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-4558t00.pdf
Old 25th June 2012, 01:28 PM   #7
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"If im right in thinking this allows the cabinet size to be half of the recommended size. "

Sorry, that's not isobaric. The drivers will have to work in whatever size the bowels are. I would run them Push-Pull and use a Linkwitz transform.
Old 26th June 2012, 03:13 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk View Post
I would run them Push-Pull
To be isobarik the drivers need to be couple together driving the same volume (with a small coupling cavity between the 2 drivers (ie 2 drivers act as a single compound driver). I can dig out pictures to illustrate if necessary.

I would go push-push over push-pull (cancelling 2nd order without doing anything about 3rd order creates a non-monotonic series of harmonics). Besides, push-pull probably wouldn't fit this configuration of half-spheres.

dave
Old 26th June 2012, 07:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok thanks Dave, let me try and be clear, as my understanding seems to be way off.

My goals were to try and design a sub, using two drivers to cancel/dampen each others forces, making a non-vibrating cabinet (within reason). And I believed that you could use two large drivers running in push-pull our isobaric to allow for a far smaller cabinet than if run normally (or a far bigger driver)

These bowls could be two separate sealed units, however joining them seemed to make more sense, a larger overall volume of air and the rear pressure form each driver canceled or balanced by the opposite movement of the other, as a passive radiator would work.

I saw these on the Voodoo thread, and thought they looked amazing, just didn't want to have to cut the metal, and thought this would lead to a more interesting design.

Am I right in thinking my sub would be omnidirectional? As its not got a baffle but is coming from a small slot.

Does anyone know how to model this?
Old 26th June 2012, 08:26 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
Am I right in thinking my sub would be omnidirectional?
All subs are omnidirectional.

Isobarik will halve the volume needed for the same box Q, but one has to account for the overhead of the coupling chamber (or live with a magnet sticking out). A smaller coupling chamber is better.

A single pair of drivers in an isobarik cannot be push-push -- well they can, but the complexity & end volume makes the point moot. To do isobarik and push-push you need 4 drivers (top figure).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif isobarik-configs.gif (18.4 KB, 911 views)
File Type: gif pushpush-pushpull-figures.gif (19.4 KB, 627 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!