Concept, Beolab 11 style isobaric sub using Ikea Blanda metal bowls.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Adding a picture where the ported enclosure is (sub) filtered at 80 Hz using LR4 LPF:
The small ripple seen in the off-band will totally disappear when damping materials are added.

b:)

Attachments

• Ported-Bowl-filtered-at-80Hz_no-stuffing.JPG
    Ported-Bowl-filtered-at-80Hz_no-stuffing.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 411
..The small ripple seen in the off-band will totally disappear when damping materials are added.

This fact can be seen here:

b:)

PS: My posting to this thread was not in the first place to show my weird 'Bowl'
design but the supplied 'rookie' calculations of the consequences when
using the TangBand driver in different configurations.

Attachments

• TB-W6-1139SIF-isobaric-ported-bowl.JPG
    TB-W6-1139SIF-isobaric-ported-bowl.JPG
    702.2 KB · Views: 379
£50 Uk $45 Us. Grrr

Look good though, would they work well in a sealed 11L enclosure?

I run mine in a 11L ported box, 2" tube, 11" long, light stuffing in the port. They hit 40Hz clean but there's nothing useful below ~35Hz.

The thing with projects like this is you very quickly hit the limitations given by Hoffman: small size, bass extension, efficiency. Pick any two.

The Tang Band driver (for me) represents a decent compromise: you get to use small boxes. They'll go to ~40Hz at decent SPLs (a pair was enough for a room 20m by 10m playing Metallica and some others at decent levels), but you'll need plenty of clean power to get there.
At excursions passing 5mm one-way, distortion begins to increase. Its clearly audible on test tones (especially below port tuning), but on music it's not too bad. Even so, if you're repeatedly running these drivers to that sort of excursion, I'd recommend the use of larger drivers.

We use my speakers for movies - tried Terminator, Resident Evil, etc. In a UK-sized living room, a pair of these drivers will hit cinema levels. Put them against a wall for even more output. An infrasonic filter should be considered essential, for sealed or ported designs: these drivers will not go properly low, nor should they be asked to.

Using a sealed cabinet means you'll likely hit output limitations earlier than ported boxes, however...

- despite being a teenager (you know what teenagers can be like with volume), I haven't managed to cause these drivers any great strain. They cope with movies and everything else as well as I could ask.
- because they're in a dedicated subwoofer, you can stick it in a corner or against a wall. I don't have that option (they're built in to the main cabinets), so you'll likely gain some SPL there.
- the slot loading will also, I suspect, gain you some extra output.

Methinks you'll be fine with a pair in sealed cabinets, but if you want a little more output, a pair of

W5-1138SMF - TB speakers 5 inch paper cone subwoofer - Europe Audio

Will have more cone area than a single 6".
Alternatively, perhaps look at the 8" drivers and Linkwitz Transform circuits

Chris

This design is always going to use two drivers.

I had a big 15" pro woofer, held up by a big spike running open with no baffle, really liked the sound, just supper low level bass re-enforcement. I'd like to see how a properly designed small(ish) sub will work.

I think I'll wait until I eventually build my large horn system before I approach the 15" woofer route again. Small subs for now.

Thanks for all the graphs. I will try and study them.

Ran some quick numbers using the older version of the 5" woofer (the specs of the newer one are similar).

4 of those drivers (total) in a 22L (again, total) sealed cabinet without slot loading would give a Qtc of 0.75 (slight rise in response - nothing to worry about).

Keeping excursion sane at a mere 5mm one-way would give a SPL of 98dB at 40Hz. Remember winISD gives figures for half-space.

I've done a comparison between 4x 5" drivers sealed vs 2x6" drivers ported.

With a suitable highpass added to prevent the drivers bottoming out below port tuning, the pair of 6"ers appear to win this one - see attached. Note the Xmax for the 5"ers are ~9mm, so both systems are being pushed hard here.

If you're willing to go ported, the 6"ers would better use the cabinet volume IMHO.
If you want to stay sealed, the 5"ers will give decent performance. You might like to read this - rather useful information about getting the most out of a sealed subwoofer.

Chris

Attachments

• Excursion.png
    Excursion.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 312
  • SPL.png
    SPL.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 307
You could (for a clean aesthetic) fire the ports into the slot between the two halves, but I've no idea how that'll affect the output.

Note: to avoid chuffing, a 2" port should be used. This comes to be around 11" long, so a 90 degree bend may be needed to fit it in the small space.
You could go for a smaller diameter port to then reduce the length, but chuffing might become an issue.
The author here seems to think you'll be okay:
Cerberus

2x6"s ported, can this design be modified to make it better?

Better in what way?

ok, two outward facing drivers in each half sphere?

Yep.

Without hogging its on dsp (2in 4out) is there a way to wire this up so the drivers can share the signal?

A series-parallel arrangement of all 4 would give a 4 ohm (nominal) load for a single amplifier channel.
You could wire each pair in series to give an 8ohm load for 2 channels of amplification.

For the 6"ers, you'd have either a single 8ohm or 2ohm, or two lots of 4 ohm if you have a stereo amplifier.

Chris

You will find it hard, if not impossible, to port this small of an enclosure to a low frequency.

If I was fixated on this project I would use a pair of sealed long excursion 8s or 10s, and either a Linkwitz Transform or an ELF crossover (Bag End).

"due you know of a 8 or 10" sub that can work in a sealed 11l enclosure? "

Any driver with a good x-max will do. The Qtc will be quite high, that's what the Linkwitz Transform is for.

Some of the Velodyne and Bag End designs have sealed system resonances around 80hz or so.

Nice drawings P10. Should clear up come comments in several threads.
My take:
isobarik is an expensive way to not buy a more expensive driver.

The idea of big metal bowls gives me shivers, but as subs, well it's the volume that matters. The ones in the photo look WAY too small to be subs. Please do your T/S calculations.

We are talking about 11" bowls, 5" drivers, and the word "sub" in the same thread?

Here is an idea. Pull up a copy of WinISD. Pick any speaker and do a sim of a sealed box. Make the box 11L. Then go into the editor and keep changing Fs and Qts until you get numbers that look like a sub. Look around for drivers like that. When you find one, let us all know.

For what I consider a real sub, the Peerless 12" in 60L is one of the smallest and one of the cleanest. Very good efforts have been done with several 8's, but the total box size goes up a lot. 200L is not an unreasonable size for a sub.

Subs don't have to be in the same room. Only their output. They can be in attics, adjacent rooms, under the floor, outside. Creativity here is the rule.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.