Car subwoofer sounds muddy but hits low bass well (sluggish bass) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2012, 12:38 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

replacing my amp i think is out of my option i think cos this amp is quite powerful as it havent bridged to the subwoofer. now it just run on 1 channel only for the subwoofer. Maybe one day i would consider modify the crossover and the bass boost of the preamp section of the amp and see if it helps...
Old 24th August 2012, 07:01 AM   #12
mlkraft is offline mlkraft  United States
diyAudio Member

Mobile Audio=Always Tweaking.

That looks like a pretty large box, even ported, for a 12" driver, but I have not looked at Alphasonic in a long time.

In-car, you get a 12db (average) boost at the outset, and don't forget the completely different acoustic environment.
Your best bet is to build your enclosure to match your car and speaker requirements, making sure you have your TS parameters correct, I am wondering about a couple of them: Fs @ 30+ Hz for a 12"? and your Sd should be over 110 sq" for any "normal" 12" driver, although as with all things, change is expected.

2 cubic feet is not too bad for mobile audio subs, pretty typical in fact, but as with the others already chimed in, tune it lower. Also, double check your source materials and filters. You may have your computer filtering out subaucoustics/sonics (generally recognized as >20Hz, sometimes as high as 60...) automatically, whereas your car amp lets you tailor your music to your own terms.

My car system: Kenwood CD-deck (3+ years old) front xover @ 150, rear at 120, sub @ 100; who knows what slope///
Front channel running off the (cough hack spit) 50 wpc deck, rear from 50 (honest) wpc RMS with xover @ 200 12db/octave, subs @ 120/12 db/octave. 4 Ohm bridged, 400WPC max amp. Sealed box to OEM specs for size, my dimensions for fit.
Cut in the boost for the old school and when I wanted to be obnoxious, otherwise left flat.
My amp channels: a Crunch 150 I have kept with me for 10+ years pushing subs mostly, rears this round; and a Crossfire V402 for the subs: a pair of 8" Infinity.

Played with a 500 watt monoblock, guess I'm getting too old, but it overpowered the rest of the system even at low settings. I have it for sale if your interested....

MLK

Hide this!Advertise here!