TH Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

i have tried modeling and building TH in past with no success.Don't know what was wrong.Maybe bad T/S or calculations.I will give it one more try though,as i read about so many succesful stories around the forums.

I have some questions.

1. I tried to model a car subwoofer and come up with a classic U type response that doesn't seem to get flat no matter what i do,unless i increase the S1 up to a certain point over the S2 value where it gets really flat.For example i set S1 to 400 and S2 to 90 and the response is really flat.Is this acceptable in practice?
2. Is it right to select the combined response to evaluate the response of the TH?It is the only way i get a good response.Is it OK to set the Path Length Difference between Port distance and listener and Speaker distance and listener as 0?
3. Can you suggest any easy program for folding the TH?I have this "Stepped TH" but can't get it to work at all.It seems locked.I don't have Excel though.I open it with Libre Office 3 (Windows 7) and can't enter values.

Please check the attachements!

Any help about the design is welcome :)

Attachments

• Test TH Input Parameters.jpg
    Test TH Input Parameters.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 122
  • Test TH SPL Graph.jpg
    Test TH SPL Graph.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 117
It is going to be used in a car hatchback trunk,so space is a limitation.I can get up to 100 liters net + the wood and driver volume.Also i want to use only one driver not 2 as i see in your simulation!

Thanks for your effort though.

I changed the option from Normal to Tapped Horn and still get better response when the first segment is larger than the second.

I am more familiar with WINISD.What is the enviroment i should choose to be comparable to WINISD simulation?2xPi?

Hi there L2B2: When I down loaded HR several years ago, an application note stated that HR may not (or will not) run fully without a full copy of Excel. I'm running HR-v22 on WIN-7 with a full copy of Excel ($150 worth). Also, I've have flattened SPL plots by using s-1>s-2<-3, however this shape does not meet the TH inventors (TD) defination for a contineously incressing path. So, it may function anyway, maybe defined with your name L2B2.Likewise, it may be difficult to fold (or impossible to fold to match the simulation). Maybe someone will build one of these and find out how it sounds and measures. ....regards, Michael

Last edited:
Hi there L2B2: When I down loaded HR several years ago, an application note stated that HR may not (or will not) run fully without a full copy of Excel. I'm running HR-v22 on WIN-7 with a full copy of Excel ($150 worth). Also, I've have flattened SPL plots by using s-1>s-2<-3, however this shape does not meet the TH inventors (TD) defination for a contineously incressing path. So, it may function anyway, maybe defined with your name L2B2.Likewise, it may be difficult to fold (or impossible to fold to match the simulation). Maybe someone will build one of these and find out how it sounds and measures. ....regards, Michael

I don't understand why you need the Excel to run the HR properly (if by HR you mean HornResp).Can you explain how you go from HR txt export file to Google Sketchup or similar drawing programs?It seems that i have to make all the lines one by one.I thought there was a way to import the txt file into a program and make the drawing automatic.

Have you ever built any of the "s-1>s-2<-3" type of TH you mentioned?I am wondering if they really perform as in the SPL Graph or it is a program malfunction!

I don't understand why you need the Excel to run the HR properly (if by HR you mean HornResp).Can you explain how you go from HR txt export file to Google Sketchup or similar drawing programs?It seems that i have to make all the lines one by one.I thought there was a way to import the txt file into a program and make the drawing automatic.Have you ever built any of the "s-1>s-2<-3" type of TH you mentioned?I am wondering if they really perform as in the SPL Graph or it is a program malfunction!

Himthere L2B2: My information on HR (HornResp) came from information posted on this site in yr 2008/9, so I purchased full copy of Excel. Other DIYers may have a different experience. I looked at the Sketchup program, but did not feel like spending time learning how to use it, so I can not answer your question

(I,m sure others can help you with HR export and Sketchup.)

No buld yet, however, I intend to build one next winter using a JBL GTO 1214D, which I have purchesed. If my sim's are correct, I observe TH's need lots of Xmax. GTO1214D has Xmax=14mm one way and T/S which work satisfactorly. ...regards, Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.