18"Tapped Horn design needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have settled on a tapped horn for 20 or 30 hz up to 100hz. The driver is to be a high quality 18", yet to be determined on the brand but the PD1850 is looking good.
Maximun height can be 2300mm, would anyone help me with the design, I have hornresp, but tapped horns are beyond my basic knowledge.

I have settled on a tapped horn for 20 or 30 hz up to 100hz. The driver is to be a high quality 18", yet to be determined on the brand but the PD1850 is looking good.
Maximun height can be 2300mm, would anyone help me with the design, I have hornresp, but tapped horns are beyond my basic knowledge.

Hi,

:eek:Prepare for a box larger than 500L if you have a TH in mind and you have to invest in an good FR EQ + signal delay for your main speakers.

A T-TQWT uses a third of that volume, no EQ or delay needed: :D

b:)

Attachments

• PD1850_170L_T-TQWT.JPG
    PD1850_170L_T-TQWT.JPG
    858.5 KB · Views: 304
Am I reading that right B? No delay needed?? Why...?

Hi mRgSr,

Ever since the early seventies and on Ive never bothered on Gldy delay for most of room scattered subs Ive designed and built (Ive designed hundreds of (multi-)sub systems since then) if the Gldy stays below a 1/f slope of ~10 mS(~9.4= my choice) as this is within brain fusing-time for signal onset of the Pre-Pulse and Main-Pulse) at 80 Hz when used with overlapping mains:

The resulting FR ripple is IMO/IME minor when compared with the room interactions( normal domestic rooms) that always have a much higher influence on system FR smoothness at the summing point.

In larger rooms and when the listening differing distance to the mains and the sub(s) adds several mS you cannot avoid signal delay units, this applies too if subs are used as a stands for mains:
You generally want good acoustic summed phases at the chosen XO point.

Attachments

• Gldy-extrapolation_Vertical Localisation-of-Woofers.jpg
    Gldy-extrapolation_Vertical Localisation-of-Woofers.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 259
Sadly study will be going on for many years, speaker building and reno's are what i olive for so all good.
the room is 6m x 6m. I have a 2x8 DSP on hand, but i have not even unpacked it yet.

I will read up on T-TQWT's thanks Bjorno.
Size isn't real and issue, i have large double door and the room is separate from the house and dedicated to music.

Hi,

:eek:Prepare for a box larger than 500L if you have a TH in mind and you have to invest in an good FR EQ + signal delay for your main speakers.

A T-TQWT uses a third of that volume, no EQ or delay needed: :D

Thanks Bjorno. I have been reading up on this design since you posted the sim for me. Looks impressive, how would you compare the sound quality of a tapped horn to a T-TQWT?

Thanks Bjorno. I have been reading up on this design since you posted the sim for me. Looks impressive, how would you compare the sound quality of a tapped horn to a T-TQWT?

Depends on who is the designer and what driver(s) are in work :D, but for use in a home I would never pick a TH based on SQ, BW and size only.

There must be other members here at DIYaudio with experience of TH's and T-TQWT's/T-QWP's who could chime in with more opinions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.