SDX10 tips for slam?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I already have the TRIO12 with 2 PRs in a big 24" box. It can dig pretty deep (20 Hz: 120 dB @ 1 meter). However, I want to feel more impact for 'gunshot type action acenes'. I am looking for a bit more "in-your-chest-slam" which I assume is more mid-bass? I have a hole in my bass response around 70 Hz. I ordered a SDX10 with 2 Passive radiators kit from CSS [LINK]. If all goes well, I will add a 2nd with the idea of having them near the LP for movies.
1 - What do you think of this idea?
2 - What tips/tweaks do you have for what I am after? Maybe lighten the mass on the PRs?

Thanks in advance.

"slam in chest" seems to be more level related than anything else. i once was at a student party with really bad and pretty small 2-way hifi speakers driven to a way to high volume to be considered even mediocre sound, but it had slam.

what i want to say is... if you want slam, raw spl in the 50-150hz area (those speakers had no energy below about 50hz) seems to be the thing you need, which the trio12 you have should be able to give you, since it is way bigger than the bad speakers i did listen to.

since it doesnt... what is your crossover frequency - maybe your mains are relatively small and cant deliver the spl up to 150hz? maybe your room adds too many cancellations and sucks out essential frequencies? maybe bass isnt well aligned between subs and mains in the time-axis? maybe high Q room resonances smear bass energy over time?

those are the things i would investigate in my system, if i had this problem.

some general cures: multiple subs and good parametric EQ for bass response smoothness and maybe a higher crossover than is typical for movies, if your mains are small.

"slam" to me suggest dynamics - how about some type of horn? (tapped, corner mounted BIB, etc)

- enclosures won't necessarily be small, but a single driver should be more than sufficient, and would likely never have its X-max tested

regardless of enclosure format / driver configuration, multiples will provide greater control over room modes and more even distribution

what i want to say is... if you want slam, raw spl in the 50-150hz area (those speakers had no energy below about 50hz) seems to be the thing you need, which the trio12 you have should be able to give you, since it is way bigger than the bad speakers i did listen to.
My TRIO12 bottoms out during transients :(

since it doesnt... what is your crossover frequency
I have been playing with the XO quite a bit but i don't want to keep bottoming this thing, it sounds nasty.

- maybe your mains are relatively small and cant deliver the spl up to 150hz?
Thats right, I have flat panel speakers as mains at the moment which aren't delivering the impact I require [Energy Take FPS]

maybe your room adds too many cancellations and sucks out essential frequencies? maybe bass isnt well aligned between subs and mains in the time-axis? maybe high Q room resonances smear bass energy over time?

those are the things i would investigate in my system, if i had this problem.

some general cures: multiple subs and good parametric EQ for bass response smoothness and maybe a higher crossover than is typical for movies, if your mains are small.
My room is large with opening down the hall. 14X23, but is wider than 14 behind the hallway. Also, I think my PEQ on my yamaha (YPAO) is keeping the XO low. I think I raised it all the way to 200 once. I definitely need to do more testing, but one problem I believe is the SPA500 amp on that sub I made. It has one band of EQ which really doesn't seem to work as advertised.

When I test my beta15's I have in ob, "slam" seems to be from 220-180ish down to 80 for the "afterthump", everything needs to be smooth for a complete sensation of "punch", if you get my meaning, I also find extension down to 30 important for getting the proper feel of a really good hard kick dying out.

Everything dsp dip-eq'ed flat ofcourse... Note that I still do not like dsp's, even for bass duties, it's like choosing a lesser evil. My biggest headache is getting extension from 30-220hz (0db) completely flat with 1 driver with my very limited space.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry about the bump.

When I test various frequency square wave bass sounds, and the sound is "spot on" compared to my 600 Ohm AKG 141 monitor headphones at "good" volume level, I usually get pretty good slam.

The initial motion of a kick has a very high frequency, the drum skin flexes and soon slows down the motion to a rapidly lower frequency until it fades completely. Tuning of the kick drum, where and how hard the kick is increase or decrease the initial as well as later frequency of the soundwave.

But I have no idea what I'm talking about, I have a few conga and bongo drums, but whatever music I make is with various synth's.

If you ever get the opportunity, get a decent drummer with a good enough kit to roll some solo's for you, it's a very good indication of how things should sound.
Also the good old pig guts bass sound is very hard to get just right, but the amount of "proper" musicians is rapidly dwindling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.