Subwoofer for Bass Guitar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a headphone bass amp (The VOX amplug) which is pretty good for using with headphones for practice. I also have a pair of PC speakers which I use sometimes, which sound really crappy for bass.

I also have an old home theater sub (Sony SA-WMS7). According to the manual the sub can reproduce 24-150Hz. I was wondering whether I could use a splitter and give one output to the PC speakers, and another through a low pass filter to the sub. I tried the sub on it's own but the sound was really muddy, hence the idea.

I know a little bit about filter design but I'm unsure about whether an active lowpass filter would be able to handle the sub as a load. I'm thinking of using a
Butterworth lowpass filter with unity gain before I give the input to the sub (The sub also has an amp inbuilt).

Any suggestions guys? :confused::confused:

Hi,

Your sub has a line in and already has built in low pass filter.

What does the mode switch on the sub do ?

Simply split a line signal into the sub line in and your active speakers.

Reduce any bass setting on the speakers and set up the sub to suit.

rgds, sreten.

And, how long will a home 8" subwoofer last with a direct input from an electric bass?

Hi,

I found that as well. From my quick perusal of the schematic indefinitely, as
it has a limiter board. In fact rather than needing a a filter if you bypassed
the low pass filters it would probably be a very decent practice amplifier.
(Except if the limiter does not like unexpected high frequencies, who knows.)

rgds, sreten.

I can't say trivially how to bypass the filters as i don't have the time,
but theoretically just removing several capacitors should work.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.