Horrible delay in theater subs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I went to go see a movie the other day, and any time music played the bass sounded like crap. It was so delayed that it didn't even sound like music anymore. I have been to a few clubs in years past that had issues like this as well. But this was REALLY bad. I know people like the rumble of loud subs at the theater. But wouldn't they set up the subs so they are time correct? WTF? Can't you have loud, low bass that also sounds good? I can understand if the bass is cranked up and it's a little too loud for "audiophile" sound quality, but this delay hurt my brain. :D It sounded like two different systems were playing two different songs. You know, like a crappy DJ didn't know how to beat match and they mixed two songs together that don't work?
But it was only one song playing.. :D
It was definitely the sub delay at issue, as the bass drum hits sounded way too deep and not natural.
By the way this was at a major movie theater chain (which I would have expected to have better sound).

As with any digital set up the posibilities of setting up the bass with the wrong time delay are probably endless, and the probability of setting the delay correctly very small.
On my digital TV for instance, the sound from the internal speakers and the audio out sockets are not in sync - No chance of using the 2 together sucessfully unless you want to imagine you live in a cave.:rolleyes:

Can be a multitude of issues. Big low tuned ported subs with group delay issues. Your position in the theater and the room acoustics. I've heard good sealed subs that sounded slow in some rooms due to standing waves. It takes a couple cycles to build the energy in a resonant system so the bass will sound delayed in some situations.

I don't know what effort (if any) they put into time aligning the sound in a movie theater. Seems like you'd have to be sitting in a "golden region" to have the best sound if they did.

The majority of the people going to see movies will be impressed by the sound when they compare it to their TV speakers or even their home theaters in a box.

I cringe every time I pay for a regular movie ticket at $14 or whatever it is each ticket when my girlfriend wants to go see a movie.
You'd think with the kind of profit they're turning they would put some time and $ into the sound setup providing the customer with an experience.

The local IMAX theater near me was just built and actually has decent sound, so I don't mind paying the premium to go see an action movie in that theater.
Otherwise I'd rather just watch the movie on blu ray at home in my own theater!

hahah yeah, when I lived in MN years ago, my room mates had all worked for a similar electronics retailer at one point or another and I gave one of my room mates my employee discount a the higher end place I worked. This was back when very few av recievers had THX rating. I guess after learning how to set up delay and volume settings for a given room (even with only basic knowledge), I have trouble enjoy theaters like I use to.
I have had good experiences in Imax. Not as bad. They must pay more attention to the set up in imax or something. I don't see movies much anymore. In the past it was more of a social exercise. I would go see almost any movie (no date movies or girl movies) no matter how bad, just so we could talk about it. Didn't care about sound.
Maybe next time I will just turn my brain off and enjoy the crappy sound and movie :D :D
I don't mind bass that is too loud, but the delay was ridiculous. I am almost tempted to talk to management :D :p
Also, I don't have a current set up to enjoy at home so I guess the theater is better than nothing...
On another odd note... The movie I saw was rushed into final production... So maybe the recorded LFE channel got fubar'd or something? :D
I agree, I would rather just set up a nice system at home and do it right :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.