18" woofers - which have high Qts (+low Fs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm now planning a subwoofer project which will make use of 4x 18" woofers, probably in some kind of Ripole/Ripol arrangement mounted in a low table of 120x120cm, about 50cm high (4x4 feet, 1,5 feet high)

I've spent some time identifying suitable candidates with a high Qts (but retaining low Fs); I need 8 ohm versions and high sensitivity speakers - which excludes most car subwoofers currently made, as it seems. Here are my results:

-Eminence Kilomax pro 18a: Qts 0,47 (Fs 32, xmax 10mm)
- Fane Sovereign 18-500: Qts 0,56 (Fs 33, xmax 6,3mm)
- Ciare 18-4: Qts 0,52 (but Fs a bit high at 40 Hz, xmax 13mm)
- Mac Mah CWA46 (a French-rebadged Asian production, I think): Qts 0,45 (Fs 27)
- P-audio SN-18 ELF: Qts 0,53 (Fs 29, xmax 7,5 mm)
- P-audio AM-18 ELF: Qts 0,52 (Fs 26, xmax 6 mm)
- Selenium had plenty of high Qts woofers until very recently; now SWS 1100: Qts 0,50 (Fs 34, xmax 9,3)
- AD Audio (a German relabeled Asian production) R1830: Qts 0,64 (Fs 34, xmax 7,4 mm)

Who knows others?

Bear in mind that a Ripole alignment will both lower the Fs, and raise the Qts of the driver when you make your selection.

What about the Goldwood 18" pro driver that everyone uses in the H frame OB subs?

John

Only now I notice you are in Eu. Maybe shipping/customs would be prohibitive for the Goldwood ?

..I've spent some time identifying suitable candidates with a high Qts ..Who knows others?..

FYI,

Don't rule out low Qts low fs drivers(high BL),i.e. Drivers with a low Qes/ high Qms that have a mass roll-off = 2Fs/Qes at or above~160 as they are easily converted into high Qts by adding an appropriate series resistance.

This approach is especially useful when its possible to parallel more than two drivers making the series Qts altering resistance staying at a very low value,this when including a series inductance with a similar loss resistance.

Have a look at the submitted example picture where two (H-Frame) Ripole with 2xSd /front area = 2/1 slots are stacked vertically(stacking horizontally would even work better).

b:)

PS: The in post# 2 suggested Pyle driver in Car action, Note the wiggling excursion..:eek: It's a Duck driver!:

18 inch subwoofer knockin hard live2shred.blogspot.com - YouTube

Attachments

• 4xDayton-PA460-8-in-parallel_H-Frame-or-Ripole-config.JPG
    4xDayton-PA460-8-in-parallel_H-Frame-or-Ripole-config.JPG
    502.3 KB · Views: 1,762
Bear in mind that a Ripole alignment will both lower the Fs, and raise the Qts of the driver when you make your selection.

What about the Goldwood 18" pro driver that everyone uses in the H frame OB subs?

John

Only now I notice you are in Eu. Maybe shipping/customs would be prohibitive for the Goldwood ?

Thanks for that.
Yes, I know the theory but obviously, there is limit to the mutation of parameters and I can't transform a Qts 0,3 woofer into a Qts 0,6 woofer just like that. Of course, I can add also series resistors, but I'd like to avoid that. I need sensitivity to match my existing Onken W bass enclosures (2x38cm woofers per side) and I use Crown Studio Ref amps, with their incomparable bass.

AFAIK, Goldwood is not distributed - indeed - in Europe. But I suspect that this is just OEM rebadged production; maybe available under another import name. I'll have a look. Thanks for the hint on this brand (which model, BTW? there are 3 different 18" woofers, as it seems).

Chris.

FYI,

Don't rule out low Qts low fs drivers(high BL),i.e. Drivers with a low Qes/ high Qms that have a mass roll-off = 2Fs/Qes at or above~160 as they are easily converted into high Qts by adding an appropriate series resistance.

This approach is especially useful when its possible to parallel more than two drivers making the series Qts altering resistance staying at a very low value,this when including a series inductance with a similar loss resistance.

Have a look at the submitted example picture where two (H-Frame) Ripole with 2xSd /front area = 2/1 slots are stacked vertically(stacking horizontally would even work better).

PS: The in post# 2 suggested Pyle driver in Car action, Note the wiggling excursion..:eek: It's a Duck driver!:

18 inch subwoofer knockin hard live2shred.blogspot.com - YouTube

Hmm...Interesting proposals. I need to think about all that. I'm usually much more into powerful woofers and all this high Qts business is quite new to me, in fact. And the choice is very limited among pro sound/PA drivers, so ways to stay with "classical" superwoofers are of course welcome.

The attachmment is a bit small, even when I use maximum magnification. Can you send it to my pm?

Chris.

I've heard this one in an " H " frame sub. I liked it. With room gain was getting into the 20's.

Goldwood GW-1858 18" Pro Woofer 290-386

Price ( at least in US ) is reasonable too.

John

Ok, that's the one then. Tech data says :

GW-1858/Specifications: • Power handling: 220 watts RMS/310 watts max • VCdia: 2.5" • Le: 0.6 mH • Nominal impedance: 8.0 ohms • Re: 5.3 ohms • DC resistance: 6.2 ohms • Frequency range: 30-2,000 Hz • Magnet weight: 50 oz. • Fs: 30.3 Hz • SPL: 94.3 dB 2.83W/1m • Vas: 18.50 cu. ft. • Qms: 6.7• Qes: 1.3 • Qts: 1.1 • Xmax: 2 mm • Net weight: 11-1/3 lbs. • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 18", Cutout diameter: 16-1/2", Depth: 7-7/8", Magnet diameter: 8-1/2", Magnet height: 1-3/4.

Qts is indeed (very) high and Fs is OK, but I'm concerned about linear max excursion of 2mm. Isn't that a bit low for a di/ripole set-up???

Last edited:
Check out the BMS 18N862 very serious driver. You can most likely get away with using one driver for the build instead of four..

Overview

Nice model indeed. Fs 25hz, xmax 19mm but Qts 0,34. I think I would prefer a bit of a higher value as regards the latter; I'd like to get away without Eq', if possible, although I confess I have no clue how the woofers would behave in my intended project.

Chris.

This other Goldwood (also available from Parts Express) looks in fact even better to me:

Goldwood GW-18090 18" Select Series PA Woofer
Specifications: • Power handling: 500 watts RMS/1,000 watts max • VCdia: 4" • Le: 2.8 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 7.2 ohms • Frequency range: 20-1,500 Hz • Fs: 29.2 Hz • SPL: 95.2 dB 2.83V/1m • Vas: 13.66 cu. ft. • Xmax: 5.4 mm • Qms: 13.86 • Qes: 0.49 • Qts: 0.48 • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 18-1/4", Cutout diameter: 16-3/4", Depth: 7-1/2".

Would have been a serious contender with a bit more Xmax.

Chris.

Hi,

FYI, A couple of simulations you might be interested to study.

Attachments

• 1_BMS-18N862_H-Frame_Ripole.JPG
    1_BMS-18N862_H-Frame_Ripole.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 958
  • 2_BMS-18N862_T-TQWT.JPG
    2_BMS-18N862_T-TQWT.JPG
    658 KB · Views: 962
  • 3_Goldwood_GW1858_versus_GW18090.JPG
    3_Goldwood_GW1858_versus_GW18090.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 944
  • 4_4xGoldwood GW-18090-in-parallel_H-Frame-or-Ripole-config.JPG
    4_4xGoldwood GW-18090-in-parallel_H-Frame-or-Ripole-config.JPG
    495.5 KB · Views: 896
With the monster amp that you are using, I wouldn't even care about "too high" Fs and "too low" Qts, just simply EQ the driver. The SR1 has plenty of voltage headroom (current as well), which is the only thing required to use low Qts drivers.

It's not an 18", but I would think that the Ciare NDH15-4S (if you can get it, since it is in the OEM product category) will be a most excellent OB driver, and exactly for it's extremely strong motor (Qts=0.25, BL²/Re=100), moderate moving mass and moderate stiff suspension (thus rather low Fs), Xmax also quite good, and a very low distortion design. Also it looks well ventilated which might cause only little air noise, an important aspect (I haven't checked the driver in person yet but hope to do soon).

Aside from that Ciare woofer (where you'd need several of) that BMS ultra long excursion model is tempting, but here again the air noise issue will have to be checked with special care. The designers for sure did not have dipole operation in mind when engineering the forced-air cooling system.
In doubt I'd rather go with more drivers (of modern construction but not overpowered, though) and less excursion for each to be safe here.

Generally, the lower the Qes the more control has the motor over the driver, especially over the suspension nonlinearities. It will need EQ but against common belief this will NOT result in an efficiency penalty (that is, there is a slight one in for the amplifier if it is not Class-D).

Last edited:
Thanks for all your good advice.

I have now launched an order for the size above 18" (i.e 21") from Pyle Audio.

The manufacturer parameters suggested a low Fs and a Qts hich is not what I wanted originally (see datasheet at PylePro - PDW21250 - 21'' Performance Optimized High Power Subwoofer).

Parts Express staff have, however, measured a Qts at 0,66; see one of the last posts on Pyle Pro PDW21250 21" High Power Subwoofer Customer Questions and Answers ; their own measurements seem to confirm an Fs below 30 Hz (so I anticipate an ever lower value after proper break in).

It is true that since I will use active crossover, probably including Eq possibilities (see for intance www.reckhorn.com - Active x Over) I'd have some flexibility even if the woofer parameters are not as expected. + I have a couple of extra Crown SR 1 left, which I had aquired just in case I would go some day for a sub or two.

Besides, this Pyle is given for an xmax of 9mm.

and I got a good price from a UK-dealer on the Bay.

Chris.

Maybe one needs to test the drivers in the panel/box

I have just bought a pair of Eminence Kilomax Pro18A's. You will find that the specs differ between the 2006 catalog and the 2012 catalog .
The 2006 catalog gives Fs = 33Hz and Qts= 0.56
The new catalog says Fs= 32Hz and Qts = 0.47

My new units have a Fs of about 39 Hz in free air and Qts = 0.67
On an OB panel about 20 x 24 inches the Fs is about 37 Hz and Qts = 0.85 !
Both will probably drop after use but I'm not sure by how much. I guess by about 5 to 10 % ?

I have just bought a pair of Eminence Kilomax Pro18A's. You will find that the specs differ between the 2006 catalog and the 2012 catalog .
The 2006 catalog gives Fs = 33Hz and Qts= 0.56
The new catalog says Fs= 32Hz and Qts = 0.47

It is a pity Eminence did not call the new version series B. One could imagine what would occur if buying large quantities of this driver and assumming all the drivers will have the same TS Parameters.

Yes I think so too. They should have changed the model number to reflect the change in specs . Or was there a typo ? You will also see that Xmax was wrongly shown as 1mm in the 2012 catalog ! It is 10 mm .

I was wondering if the Qts of a new driver could be as high as 0.67 when specd at 0.56 ( or 0.47 !) ? It is good for me in any case as I'm using it in an open baffle ! I need less EQ. Unlike the Alpha 15A the magnet is large and should have much better control over the cone/coil .

Has anyone used the Kilomax Pro18A in an OB ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.