B&C 18ps100 vs PD.186 vs JBL 2241H for hifi?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I need a pair of 18" woofers (one per side) to cover up to 200 Hz for my hifi rig (not PA). I specificly consider the following drivers, since I may have a chance to get them second-hand at a good price.

* B&C 18PS100
* Precision Devices PD.186
* JBL 2241H

http://www.bcspeakers.com/CPD/product_pdf.php?id=0000000054
http://www.precision-devices.com/asps/uploads/super/3.pdf

The chosen driver will be mounted in a 220-280 liter (app. 8-10cf) vented box.

Preferably, the driver should also sound refined at low volumes:)

Which woofer would be the best choice?

I would be especially pleased to hear from people who have direct experience with some of the drivers!

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Peter

Attachments

• JBL 2241.pdf
    163.9 KB · Views: 80
I have the 18PS100 in a 7 cu ft vented box. I really like it, but have not listened to the other drivers so can't compare. It is driven by an O Audio 300 watt plate amp. It will put out enough SPL that it feels like my head is being squished. It will shake the floor also. It's good for a musical subwoofer, but home theater folks may want it to deeper. Two of these would fill a really large room with deep bass.

Attachments

• 18PS100 vented full.JPG
    18PS100 vented full.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 743
Hi dirkwright,

Thanks a lot for the input!

Best regards
Peter

I have the 18PS100 in a 7 cu ft vented box. I really like it, but have not listened to the other drivers so can't compare. It is driven by an O Audio 300 watt plate amp. It will put out enough SPL that it feels like my head is being squished. It will shake the floor also. It's good for a musical subwoofer, but home theater folks may want it to deeper. Two of these would fill a really large room with deep bass.

I'm strongly in favor of high sensitivity/low distortion low frequency drivers, since any distortion produced in those frequencies is readily heard. If the low frequency driver has high sensitivity, then not only does it move less for the same SPL, but the amp has to produce far less power. Both of these lead to lower distortion.

Hi again dirkwright.

I completely agree with your preferences. Actually, until recently I had the bass horns displayed below - each mounted with double 15" pro woofers. However, I am now forced to downsize the setup due a move:(

Your sub look cool!

Best regards
Peter

I'm strongly in favor of high sensitivity/low distortion low frequency drivers, since any distortion produced in those frequencies is readily heard. If the low frequency driver has high sensitivity, then not only does it move less for the same SPL, but the amp has to produce far less power. Both of these lead to lower distortion.

Attachments

• Horn rig overview Feb 2010.JPG
    Horn rig overview Feb 2010.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 667
Thanks. Yeah, horn subs are just insanely huge. I had to assure my wife that this 18" subwoofer wasn't going to be so huge that it would be a problem and that it could double as a table or TV stand. I also made sure it was pretty. It's made from 3/4" mdf with another 3/4" birch ply laminated over it. So, I built a box out of 3/4" mdf first, and then covered most of the sides with a layer of 3/4" birch. The vents open at the bottom.

To me the case is closed for now. I went for a pair of Fane Colossus 18XB. Partly because the seem to fit the requirements (specs ideally suited for a vented box, and the drivers can be used up to 200 Hz) and partly because they can be had for good price where I live.

Thanks to all that contributed so far!

Best regards
Peter

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
good luck :up:

strangely Im close to deciding for the PD.186 :)

after long time stubbern search, it seems like I have to bite the dust and build a vented box
closed box with pro drivers simply seems too impossible to get low enough

seems like -6db at 30hz is the limit, and just about possible with vented, and still have smooth roll off
but seems like it doesnt take much spec changes before it goes up

after long time stubbern search, it seems like I have to bite the dust and build a vented box

seems like -6db at 30hz is the limit, and just about possible with vented, and still have smooth roll off

Well, I am sure they are all good woofers! One of the considerations for me was cost, and the Fane's were the cheapest from where I live.

Best regards
Peter

Hi tinitus,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• PD186_T-TQWT.JPG
    PD186_T-TQWT.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 436
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.