Anyone have info, comments, experience with the RE XXX 15 VS TC Sounds LMS-r 15?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like that the RE XXX 15 hits 26hz in a 8cu ft box sealed. I run two LMS-r 15s in a 12 cube ported box each sub for a total of 4-15's. If I go with the RE set-up there will be one per sub each side.

Power is 4100 watts per side from 2 peavey CS4080HZ's which is a great sub amp.

While the RE has more X-max, the 2 TC 15's obviously have twice the cone area.

How much would I lose in efficiency with a single RE 4+4 ohm vs the two TC 15's?

I imagine SQ would be far greater with a sealed RE.

Comments? Its for both music and movies. I'm more concerned with music. Movies are just noise although I like that deep. I dont feel my current set-up is lacking anything deep tuned to 19hz.

1 versus 1 the LMSR-15 will have a little better sensitivity but both are rather power hungry. The XXX will have more low bass headroom and displacement (LMSR is no slouch). Both can produce a lot of bass and take a lot of power without losing their composure. You could use the 15" XXX in a 4ft sealed enclosure without issue. The XXX is way heavier, deeper more expensive and more mechanically rugged.

Comparing 2 drivers vs 1 go with 2 LMSR's. 2 drivers versus 1 almost always favors the 2 as long as they are decent quality drivers. The sensitivity will be much better. Double the cone area and displacement results in more ultimate headroom. 2 voice coils to share the power results in less thermal stress on the drivers than if all of the power were to be dumped into one. Less distortion due to excursion being halved for a given output from 2 drivers compared to 1 etc...

^ I don't think power hungry is a problem with 4100rms per side.

Spin, you already own The (4) 15's?
If so just build some monster tapped pipes, horns etc and you'll have a huge increase in output (at the cost of size obviously) but the monster boxes will suit you and the name well! :D

Btw if you don't own the drivers already, two of these would cost the same as 4 TC's...

B&C 21SW152-4 21" Neodymium Subwoofer 4 Ohm 294-689

Almost the same cone area, but I'd rather have two 21's (pref. in Josh's larger gjallerhorn horns)
45x45x24 is a very large format and probably shouldn't be moved around too much.

Last edited:
^ I don't think power hungry is a problem with 4100rms per side.

Spin, you already own The (4) 15's?
If so just build some monster tapped pipes, horns etc and you'll have a huge increase in output (at the cost of size obviously) but the monster boxes will suit you and the name well! :D

Btw if you don't own the drivers already, two of these would cost the same as 4 TC's...

B&C 21SW152-4 21" Neodymium Subwoofer 4 Ohm 294-689

Almost the same cone area, but I'd rather have two 21's (pref. in Josh's larger gjallerhorn horns)
45x45x24 is a very large format and probably shouldn't be moved around too much.

I do and the boxes are in place;

DSCN0811.jpg

DSCN0808.jpg

what are "monster tapped pipes, horns etc"?

For a Qtc of .68 or so, My boxes are a bit over what I need for a single sealed RE 15.

I meant monster in size. For 20hz the path length is relatively long, and for double 15's the width would be pretty wide as well. So they would be very large. But since you have the drivers (quality ones at that) why spend more on new drivers? It looks like you have the height to play with, so just build some very tall cabinets. Tapped horns would take up much more space than your current setup, but I imagine you'd enjoy the lower distortion (btw what DSP are you using to set group delay for the mains / surrounds)

Even a single 15 tapped horn per side, and sell the other two drivers. Or play with an ISO setup horn loaded for even lower distortion! Or push pull There are plenty of options using your current drivers to increase SQ!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.