Corner sub box for HT use - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 06:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Corner sub box for HT use

Recently upgraded to a large flat screen. The old smaller TV was in an oak cabinet that I built. All my AV equipment is in or on the cabinet. It looks pretty strange with the big hole where the TV was so a new AV center is needed. I would love to incorporate a larger more powerful sub than the current 50w commercial unit. Searched the forum for a while with no real good find. Room is 15x20 with 8' ceilings. TV mounted in corner. One wall has 10' opening into dining area of same size as living room. Main listening is HT with 10% music. The rest of the system is due for an overhaul so I really want to start with the sub for some guts then team that up with the surround later.
Old 11th April 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

What kind of budget are you working with for the sub?
Old 11th April 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Id spend $500 on it.
Old 11th April 2012, 07:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

With that budget, there's a couple of ideas that spring to my mind. First, you could look at something like this:

Rythmik FV12 - vented HT sub

Shipping might push it over your budget a bit, but I've heard decent things about them.

If you wanted to build your own box, something like these two:
TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer 293-650 (Coils wired in series)
Bash 500W Digital Subwoofer Amplifier 300-752

Might play well together. The type of enclosure will probably end up as the topic of debate around here though
Old 11th April 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I guess I should make it more clear. My goals are to build a sub into the corner of the room to take the palce of the current TV/gear stand that is there. So I am not just looking for a short square bot but more of table topped sub that the AV stuff could sit on. I can throw more coin at it if that seems cheap? Volume is no real issue at this point.
Old 11th April 2012, 07:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'd probably go for the tc sounds driver and the plate amp in that case. If you opted for a sealed cabinet, you could pretty much build it into whatever shape you desired.

I'd start by measuring the dimensions of what you'd like the sub to occupy (perhaps the existing stand) and plug those dimensions and the driver parameters into WinISD (LinearTeam) and see if the results are acceptable.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

For 500$ You have lots of options. I personally like the http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-464 with a 300 to 500w sub amp. In a low tuned (6ft^3/15Hz) BR box it is brutal. But you cold look into T-TQWP if output is your thing or sealed with boost for HiFi, if loud isn't your thing.

I should point out that corner placement in a room is not a good thing as it will maximally excite all room modes.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have heard that the corner is not best. I was hoping to kill two birds with this build. If it really is detrimental to the sound I could just build a normal cabinet and place a sub in a different area.
Old 12th April 2012, 01:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Not necessarily true. At best an oversimplification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
I should point out that corner placement in a room is not a good thing as it will maximally excite all room modes.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
Not necessarily true. At best an oversimplification.
I've checked his math, it is correct.

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...ndRoomsPt3.pdf

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...ndRoomsPt3.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!